Cape Romain Light Houses

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit

Reaction score
Thanks PSG-1 for the info on the lighthouses. I took a some time to scout out conditions and made a run for the
lighthouses the next day. Put 50 miles on the boat going there and had a great time exploring.
Mcclellanville is a pretty little town with a ramp that's well protected from bad weather. Garris Landing is
high tide only so I'm told. The campsite at Buck Hall was nice. Decent ramp too. Messed up at the ramp a couple
times and people pretended not to notice. I like that. Came in to dock, yanked the boat into neutral, grabbed
the painter, jumped on the dock and fell flat on my face. Not only that but I didn't get the boat into neutral
so it was still moving. How embarrassing is that? Had to patiently explain to the wife how to put the boat into
neutral while I had a wrap on a pier to keep from getting dragged in. Of course she made the motor go faster and I had
to yell "No the other way, the other way." Sheesh.
Anyway I made it to the light houses. Couldn't find a place to put in so had to be satisfied to be offshore.
Water was very shallow. There is a deeper channel but I had to hunt to find it. I moved in and the
water got to 2 feet so I moved back out being shy after the fiasco at Back Bay.
I couldn't have done it without my handheld GPS. 150 bucks, free topos online and the world is in your hand.
lighthouses.jpg
I'm in Charleston now and going to tour the Harbour tomorrow.
Having a blast.
Cheers everybody.

rabbit said:
Thanks PSG-1 for the info on the lighthouses. I took a some time to scout out conditions and made a run for the
lighthouses the next day. Put 50 miles on the boat going there and had a great time exploring.

Mcclellanville is a pretty little town with a ramp that's well protected from bad weather. Garris Landing is
high tide only so I'm told. The campsite at Buck Hall was nice. Decent ramp too. Messed up at the ramp a couple
times and people pretended not to notice. I like that. Came in to dock, yanked the boat into neutral, grabbed
the painter, jumped on the dock and fell flat on my face. Not only that but I didn't get the boat into neutral
so it was still moving. How embarrassing is that? Had to patiently explain to the wife how to put the boat into
neutral while I had a wrap on a pier to keep from getting dragged in. Of course she made the motor go faster and I had
to yell "No the other way, the other way." Sheesh.
Anyway I made it to the light houses. Couldn't find a place to put in so had to be satisfied to be offshore.
Water was very shallow. There is a deeper channel but I had to hunt to find it. I moved in and the
water got to 2 feet so I moved back out being shy after the fiasco at Back Bay.
I couldn't have done it without my handheld GPS. 150 bucks, free topos online and the world is in your hand.

VERY cool!! 8) I was just thinkin' about you today, hadn't seen any new postings, I figured you might have fell in love with the barrier islands and decided to live there for good! I know it's hard for me to pack up the tent and leave when I'm on one of these islands.

Nice picture of the lighthouses, too. Yours was taken from the SW side, as the little 1827 light is to the left. Approaching from the NE, the image would be the opposite. And as far as getting onto Lighthouse Island, the tour boat approaches from the NE corner, there are some old piling butts left over from the old dock, you approach from Muddy Bay at high tide, and even then, they lower a gangway and you still have to walk through knee-deep water to get onto the island.

But once you are there, it's an awesome sight. If you go with the tour group, you can actually go inside the lighthouses. Check out this video my girlfriend took, when we were there this past summer:

CAPE ROMAIN LIGHTHOUSE VIDEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfQbcCk4X4&feature=plcp

And notice the haint/ghost in the 1827 lighthouse, it shows up as a red blur where my girlfriend touches the wooden sign. It was overcast this day, so, it's not from sunlight. :?: :?: Her dad had passed away about a month earlier, we took the tour on what would have been his birthday. Eeerie, huh?

A quick fact about the lighthouse, it was originally on the beachfront, but now, it's back 1/2 mile from the ocean. This is from an accretion of sediment caused by the erosion which created Bulls Bay.

The lighthouses were built to mark the Cape Romain shoals, which were formed by sedimentation from the Santee River Delta, as the Santee is the 2nd largest river on the east coast, and before the construction of the Santee-Cooper lakes, this massive river once roared all the way from the mountains to the ocean. It's my understanding that the flow was once so massive, that it was freshwater as far out as 5 miles into the ocean beyond the mouth of the river. Sadly, today, the Santee only receives 2% of its original flow, the rest is diverted into the Cooper River, and into Charleston Harbor.

I'm in Charleston now and going to tour the Harbour tomorrow.
Having a blast.
Cheers everybody.

10-4, glad to see you enjoying some of the same places I have also enjoyed visiting. While in Charleston, if it's flat enough, you may be able to get out to the Morris Island Lighthouse, it's a few hundred yards offshore now, it was originally on the beach, but erosion caused by the construction of the jetties at Charleston Harbor caused the retreat of the shoreline on Morris Island.

You may also enjoy some of the places south of Charleston, like the N. Edisto River, Wadmalaw River, Toogoodoo Creek, and Deveaux Bank. Right now, the winter trout are biting, all you need is a DOA shrimp, a #808 or #24 Mirro-Lure, and slow troll in about 10-15 ft of water, you can get into them pretty good as the water begins to flood into the grass, and as the water beings to move out of the grass.

I've got one more day of commercial oystering to knock out tomorrow, and then I plan on getting out on the water the next day in the jetboat, and catch some trout. If you're coming back up Hwy 17 and plan to come through Murrells Inlet, give me a holler! Maybe we can run out there for a few hours and snag a few trout, I have plenty of poles and tackle, and I know some good spots.

Anyhow, take care, and have fun!

I was thinking about Murrells Inlet on the way back north. I saw it from the road and it looks like a very
pretty place.
Great videos and I like your jet boat too.
I have to go now, heading for Wappoo Cut Ramp and see what we can doo.
Cheers

rabbit said:
I was thinking about Murrells Inlet on the way back north. I saw it from the road and it looks like a very
pretty place.
Great videos and I like your jet boat too.
I have to go now, heading for Wappoo Cut Ramp and see what we can doo.
Cheers

10-4! Murrells Inlet is a nice little place, originally known as the seafood capital of SC. I'm on the south end, toward Huntington Beach State Park. Like I said, the trout bite is back on, and I plan on being out there tomorrow, and Thursday for sure, Wednesday is the only day this week that I'm tied up. Other than that one day, though, looks like fishing to me!

So, when you head back this way, if you want to go snag a few trout, drop me an e-mail at:

[email protected]

Take care!

Latest posts