14 ft Chrysler commander

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babills

Reaction score
Well i am new here so the first thing i want to say is Hi! I bought a 14 ft commander tonight and i am very excited to make it live again. The commander seems like a very solid and sturdy boat and should make a good fishing boat for me and my son. I will need to start looking for a motor next, not sure what size to get was thinking a 8 hp but the boat is rated for up to 24 hp. I want to keep my set up fairly light because i am fairly big. this will be used to flip over on my popup camper and go fishing while we camp. She needs a new paint job, but other than that it looks good. Not sure of the year. but for 175$ I think i did ok. Is an 8 hp too small i weigh close to 300 pounds and son is 240. the boat is rated for almost 900 pounds with motor so thats not a problem but i want to be able to lift the motor to since i will bee takeing it on and off alot. hanks for listening to me ramble on guys.

Attachments

• 5V15G75Fa3Ib3M23H5ca7b69fc44e2ca317c3.jpg
    5V15G75Fa3Ib3M23H5ca7b69fc44e2ca317c3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 957
Hi, babills, we're glad you are here; and congrats on the Commander. For years I fished an (obviously lighter) 12 ft. Alumacraft and hoisted it onto a camper top on a full size PU. It can be a fun and convenient way to take your boat with you; and you can get into areas where a trailer can't go. Sounds like you are deciding on a motor based on weight. I suggest you look at 2 strokes to begin with, and keep an eye open for something in the 9.9 to 15 hp range. Often there is little difference in weight or fuel efficiency, but a significant difference in grunt, which you will soon appreciate. Have fun and keep us posted on your progress!
Rick

I think I will stick with a 15 hp motor. I want to get started on painting but not sure about painting in the cold weather,my garage is not heated. will it hurt to paint in the cold? Thanks Denny

Well I picked a motor for her tonight a 1983 Johnson 15hp. I picked it up for 300.00 and it started right up but needs new water pump. Good winter project, The motor is very clean and has hardly any paint loss on body or prop. I think I did pretty good for here in Michigan. This motor should push me and my son right along. Now onto finding a trailer, fish finder, oars, ect,ect. The wife hates when I start projects like this.

Attachments

• 3Gf3M43N55E75Je5M3cc8d294b7db33f01a5e.jpg
    3Gf3M43N55E75Je5M3cc8d294b7db33f01a5e.jpg
    897 bytes · Views: 851
Well just an update! I bought seats and mounted a bilge pump, got a 15 pound river anchor. For Christmas the wife bought me a Lawrence 4xDSI fish finder. Also bought a Sterling boat trailer for it too. It's all starting to come together. My brother repairs boat motors for a living so the motor is going to his house to day for a new water pump and thermostat. I am going to turn the middle bench into a storage compartment for the four rod holders I just ordered and maybe the battery. I will be ready for spring walleye fishing. pics to follow soon. But for now I am gearing up for ice fishing. Should have safe ice in a week or so.

Latest posts