New to boats, question on first boat purchase

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmech

Reaction score
Im really loving all the Jon boat mod pics. We are a family of 4( a 6 and 4 year old) and i would like a boat big enough to put all 4 on when needed. Is the 14ft too small, would a 16ft be more practicle. I would like to deck the front half and rear and have an open platform in the middle for the kids to sit/ fish from. Let me know your preferances thanks. Cool site.

14 too small. Get Atleast a 16 or 18. I have a 14 and when my wife and daughter go its too small. Shoot its too small with to adults hardcore fishing

I currently have a 17ft. With the age of your kids you will probably not be doing too much hardcore fishing with everyone in the boat. I have had 3 adults and 1 (4 year old) out on mine and it did great. There is also plenty of room for 2-3 adults who are fishing heavy (equipment, coolers, etc). There's not many times you hear "man I wish I had a smaller boat". Get the largest you can afford that fits you and your family's needs. My next one will be a 20-22ft express, got another baby on the way and the whole family loves to fish fresh and saltwater, so I'll have to move up. I would say atleast a 16' and if you can find one with an open floor plan they work great with small kids. That way if they give up on the fishing for the day they have a little bit of room and are not confined to a bench seat. Also I would highly recommend one of these to keep on the boat while the kids/family is out with you. It saves a lot of trips back and forth to the shore and I've even had adults use them as well.

toilet.jpg

Well, I have a 16' semi V and I can't imagine 4 people in there swinging hooks and line, :LOL2: .
It can accommodate 3 comfortably though.

Here's what cha need! 6 all day long....

Attachments

• DSC_0153.jpg
    DSC_0153.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 993
  • DSC_0156.jpg
    DSC_0156.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 993
Stick with a 16 with the proper floor plan.

16s are MUCH more readily available in the used market, cost a lot less, require less motor, are lighter to tow etc etc etc

For a family of four with two kids, I would recommend a medium sized front casting deck designed for one adult. A small rear deck designed for one adult. And a relatively large open section in the middle for the kids.

Storage under the decks would be ideal.

I also recommend a tiller model so the middle is as open as possible and the adult in the back has complete control of everything.

Something like this would be perfect.

859.jpg

MrSimon said:
Stick with a 16 with the proper floor plan.

16s are MUCH more readily available in the used market, cost a lot less, require less motor, are lighter to tow etc etc etc

For a family of four with two kids, I would recommend a medium sized front casting deck designed for one adult. A small rear deck designed for one adult. And a relatively large open section in the middle for the kids.

Storage under the decks would be ideal.

I also recommend a tiller model so the middle is as open as possible and the adult in the back has complete control of everything.

Something like this would be perfect.

859.jpg
Thanks, i was thinking the exact same thing on the floor plan. Let the kids hang out in the middle on the floor. I wish i would of started fishing years ago but drag racing was/is my current hobby.

jetmech said:
Thanks, i was thinking the exact same thing on the floor plan. Let the kids hang out in the middle on the floor. I wish i would of started fishing years ago but drag racing was/is my current hobby.

As others have said, buy as big as you can afford! I have a 14 foot Gregor and it barely accommodates my GF and I on our lake fishing. As a matter of fact, we have started taking our 16 foot cuddy cabin glass boat on some of the larger lakes (no kids but the porta pottie comes in handy).

I started fishing as a kid then left it for many decades. I thought I gave up hot rodding when I sold my 67 Mustang about three years ago but last Sunday found me at a classic car swap meet drooling over my next project as soon as I finishing paying off my new outboard on my ocean boat.

Good luck!

One more thing .... wider is often better than longer. You'll be amazed how much bigger and more stable a 1648 or even 1652 is compared to a typical 1436 ..... its a world of difference.

Lots of boat manufactures make a 1756, which I think is just about the perfect size boat. In fact, I think the boat in the pic I posted might be a 1756.

Also, a flat floor in the middle is totally worth the price. Its soooo much better than stumbling over the floor braces.

Latest posts