DIY Shallow Water Anchor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theyyounggun

Reaction score
Every body has been seeing these types of anchors on the back of the big glass boats. They look pretty sweet! With how I bream fish which is basically moving spot to spot it is nice to be able to put yourself right where you want to be and not worry about drifting onto the bed before the anchor catches. Ive been thinking about it a little and have come up with a few ideas. Kind of thinking about a spring loaded one that way I dont have to get my lazy tail out of my chair. Any of you have a good idea?

I've looked at them a bit. I usually don't like to post about other boards but if you look at microskifff.com or customgheenoe.com they have done quite a few.

Skinny water products makes an affordable version. Its a piece of tubing with various mounting options and a extendable push pole type of fiberglass rod. Mount the tubing to the boat and stick the rod down in the mud/sand when you wanna stop. I made my own with concrete bull float extension handles and some aluminum tubing. But Tackle warehouse has some i think.

Here you go... read this. I've touched base with Chad Ferguson and a great solution at a very affordable price.

https://www.mgs4u.com/shallow-water-boat-anchors.htm

Grainger has the raw rod in a 10 ft length. More expensive for the rod, but you can get it delivered to a local store and pay less than the shipping cost from the previous link.

https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DYNAFORM-Rod-Stock-4ATL9?BaseItem=4ATL9

Haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but my plan for making one on the cheap is an oversized u-bolt at the gunwale and a piece of galvanized electrical conduit. I don't think the short term installation would cause much in the way of pitting on the aluminum, if it does, just wrap some electrical tape around the conduit at the contact points. The conduit is easily cut to size, available in different diameters, comes in 10' length standard, and is relatively cheap 1/2" is around $2 a stick locally at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Galvanized or black pipe could be substituted, but weighs considerably more.

I bream fish also and have been thinking about different ways to anchor up in the shallows when I find a bed. If I can find them locally at a nursery, this is what I would like to try. They already have a point, a coat of protective resin over the fibers, so a little creativity to fasten a T handle and line to the top is all that's needed.

https://www.gwestern.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=936

Captain Ahab said:
Do you thing conduit will be strong enough to hold a bot in any work of wind without bending or buckling?

I think it would work, but I haven't built or tested it yet. My use would be around the shore edges or small creeks so I would be in a semi sheltered area. Once I get a chance to finish up the some other projects I'll try it out and report if it works out or not.

just an fyi, check out some kayak forums, lots of yakers use 'em when fishing the flats and other skinny water. Probably find some how to's as well. Gander Mtn has 'em in the yak area, several different places make 'em and have 'em for sale online as well. Most yakers attach a bunge cord or paracord to the stake out stick and their yak, acts a "shock absorber" to some extent, or even stick 'em thru the scupper holes at times.

Why not use aluminum pipe? Aluminum Schedule 40 Pipe 6061T6 1/2 (.84 OD X .109 wall) X 8' is 12 bucks you could thread it for a T on top or make a wooden tee insert and the same for the point on the bottom.

Thanks for all the replys! Once I get my boat done I will go to my grandpas metal fab shop and see what I can figure out!

Badbagger said:
Here you go... read this. I've touched base with Chad Ferguson and a great solution at a very affordable price.

I may order a few of these after the first of the year.

Badbagger said:

Thanks for posting the link! This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for!

Bugpac said:
Aluminum or steel isnt gonna flex, its gonna bend. Hence the reason there fiberglass, if you wanna stay put you need 2 of them
I didnt mention it but I think I finally came up with a good plan. I will draw it out on the computer and post it.

Green=transom
Grey=aluminum tubing
Black=fiberglass rod
Red=hinges
Orange=cable going to operator
Purple=a spring that is loaded when in the anchor is in the stored position so when the cable is released the spring trys to pull itself back together so thusly it pulls the anchor down.

Attachments

• Shallow.jpg
    Shallow.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 697
Did you notice the second hinge at the top? The cable is running through the tube to a hook eye in the rod. When you release the cable that sends the rod loose and then the spring/tube shoves it in the ground. And to retrieve it you simply pull the cable up by hand or possibly a hand operated winch.

Latest posts