Trailer bunkboard question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVfishnfool

Reaction score
I just got started on a Bass Tracker Pro 17 project. I've already stripped the trailer down and sand blasted it now I'm waiting for a place to hot dip galvanize the frame for me. So while I'm waiting for that to be done thought I'd get everything else ready to go back on the trailer in the mean time. Now for the question. I was planning on using treated 2x6's for my bunkboards but someone told me that the chemicals in the treated wood will corrode the aluminum by leaching thru the carpet. Then another guy tells me that they no longer use the same chemicals that was used in the past and the new treated lumber has no effect on aluminum. So which is it ? Anybody know 100% for sure. All help will be appreciated. By the way I'm new to the site but not new to boating. I've just never owned an aluminum rig on a trailer all the previous ones I could load in the back of my truck. The rest of the boats I've had at one time or another were fiberglass so I'll probably have a bunch more questions as I go along thru this project.

There have been some laws passed and changes made with regards to where and when the chromated copper arsenate treated lumber is used. Your best bet would be to avoid using it anywhere that it may pose a problem and then you won't have to be concerned about it. There are other wood choices that will hold up to water exposure well or you can put a few coats of varnish on some pine and use that.

just avoid treated all together. what i did for my bunks was i stacked two 2x4's, made sure the grain was opposing and made a 4x4. wrapped in some thin cheap carpet from lowe's. havent broken one yet......

Have seen and recently spent 400 repairing 1 and 700 on another.All due to suspect treated bunk boards covered with bunk carpet..These are SW boats ..They get washed at car wash after every trip.Another case A Snow Bird friend down for winter With his T Boat and its used in fresh up north and salt in winter..His boats a 2005 model I noticed the carpeted Bunks and asked if he had ever checked under the bunks for corrosion .I told him My story and he checked and 400 dollars later the damage was fixed ..And he's in the process of Re -doing Bunk boards.. Use wood that does not ROT like Cypress ..Or cover treated with plastic /teflon ..Also there are these (i never have used) https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/ ...cva34

Don't use it.
Cypress or Southern yellow pine will last the longest but plain old pine 2x4's are cheap and will last for years.

Glad I used some plain ol pine 2X4's I had laying around the house! Didn't know this about the treated stuff! Great info thanks!

It is good that you used non treated boards. My boat had pitting right where the boat rested. Many others on this site have had the same damage. 2x4's are cheap and it is a piece of cake changing them when they start to rot. :WELCOME: what part of se Texas are you from?

Why don't you guys use the the composite 2x4's????? I redid my trailer 3 years ago, used NO carpet and things couldn't be better..... Like having built in glide slicks....

Because I had the carpet and boards lying around the house BB.
Dayton, between Beaumont and Houston bigwave.

Latest posts