Painting an outboard, looking for tips.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mizzie

Reaction score
Looking to spruce up an older late 80s Johnson 6hp I picked up for the tinny, Under the cowl she's clean but the paint and decals have seen better days. I already plan to order a decal set from ebay when paint is done so that part is solved.

I'd like to rejuvenate the cosmetics of the motor, being an old "beater" motor I'd like to do the job cost effective so I would like to use rattle can spray paint as my air sprayer isn't working. Obviously I don't want show quality but I'd like the job to last a couple of seasons with touch ups where needed.

My main questions are should I sand down bare and apply a zinc primer, self etching primer or? Leave existing/remaining paint on and scuff up and lay paint down? This is freshwater only and is never kept in the water. If so, what's a good amount of coats of primer, I assume I can use any auto grade rattle can spray paint for the base and a couple coats of clear? I am not a painter so please shed light where needed.

Also the cowl is more of a concern for me as it is some type of plastic, I've never painted plastic and I've heard there are different steps... Any help or direction to a link or video is greatly appreciated. Will post before and after pics once completed.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. I thought about posting this in the engine section but it's not really a mechanical issue so I thought it would get better response over here.

I just repainted my motor this summer. I had to dismantle the entire motor to convert it from remote to tiller control so I painted it while I had it apart. This made it easier to clean (steam pressure wash and degreaser) and a lot less masking. I sanded most all the spots where the paint was chipped and bare metal showing. I sanded it just enough to feather the edges of the chip so it wouldn't show with the new paint. I also scuffed the entire surface so the new paint would stick to the old. Then I sprayed it with one coat of etching primer (had a lot of bare metal spots). Next up was the actual spray paint. I used Imron since my buddy had an abundant supply of it and it wasn't going to cost me any thing. This was a gloss black and it has such a good shine and it's a durable paint, that I didn't apply a clear coat. I may go back and clear it if I ever buy new decals for it. You can see what my before and after looks like if you look at my build (page 1 & 2) which is linked in my signature.

clean very good ( id use mineral spirits).. sand every inch of the motor to scuff it up. any kind of primer should work fine with one coat. the key is to not rush when applying paint. aplly several light coats allowing time to dry between coats. using light coats you may miss a spot here and there between coats but in the end you will have covered the whole motor. with light coats you will not get runs......

100_1949.JPGScrubbed mine down with dawn dish washing soap to remove grease/oil. Scuffed it up with scotch brite and stole wifes and daughters finger nail polish remover (acetone) to wipe off any residue. Ordered paint from Moeller
https://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/marine_paints/engine_paint/

Ordered decals off e-bay, like what shawnfish I did several coats lightly. Its been run several times and the paint has held up pretty well. Was going to add a layer of clear coat but didn't.
100_1948.JPG
100_1950.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1947.JPG
    100_1947.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 447
I too an in need of repaint my new to me 94 Johnson 15hp.
It had been brush painted with Olive Drab to match a duck boat. I will sand it smooth with 320 wet. Wipe it down with wax/grease remover. Moeller Zinc chromate yellow primer, on the bare aluminum spots, followed by thin covering of Duplicolor adhesion promoter. Then finally three thin coats of Moeller Johnson white.
This should bring it back to an original look. I will them buy some ebay decals to finish.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 442

Latest posts