Anyone have an emergency bag/kit on board?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Man

Reaction score
Anyone have a small dry bag packed with some essentials that they carry? I started making one the other day thinking about what I would want if I swamped my boat. Since I run all year round I have lint, a lighter and a book of matches for starting fires, a knife, a few bandads and alcohol wipes. What else do you have in your bag if youve got one?

I run jon boat tournaments, so here's what I carry in mine:

- Bandaids
- hydrogen peroxide (also give a little of this to the fish in the livewell)
- alcohol wipes
- qtips
- benadryl
- hydro-cortizone cream
- bee sting reliever
- 20-25lb mono (unbelievable how many hooks I've taken out of the back of guys legs, arms, hands, and back of heads...)
- gauze and waterproof tape
- duct tape (this will work in more ways than you can imagine)
- set of lineman pliers to cut barbs off hooks if they pierce the skin
- tylenol & asprin (I carry asprin for the older guys in case they have a bad ticker)
-- when it's cold, I carry an old wool military blanket - never know if someone might go overboard
- hand warmers
- zippo ligher (works better than matches in the wind)
- a few papertowels
- 1 full sheet of newspaper for starting fire (folds up nicely into a small ziploc bag.

all this stuff will fit in a good waterproof Rubbermaid container. Anything that I really don't want to get wet goes insize a ziplock freezer bag and into the box.

I have the first aid stuff as well as the following...

Rivets and rivet gun
Adjustable wrench
Other wrenches that match sizes on the boat, motor, trailer
Extra rope
Water shoes/flats boots
Wd40
Small piece of sandpaper
Wire crimpers
Extra splices and wire nuts
Electrical tape
Screwdrivers
Spare prop
Rain poncho, extra rain gear
Mask,snorkel, fins (saltwater trips)
Sunscreen
Bug spray
SS bolts nuts washers

Theres other stuff in the water proof boat bag just can't remember what else

if you swamp your boat everything that dont float does you no good at the bottom of the lake,river or ocean. so really a life jacket is all thats gonna save you. so besides that i keep my phone in a waterproof case and my pistol holstered at all times....

All personal electronics and wallet are in sandwich bags (x3) and then carried in a waterproof dry bag that floats. Vehicle keys are on a lanyard around my neck and under the shirt. Eyeglasses are tethered to my fat head. Small bag of tools, first aid stuff in a plastic container, manual bilge pump, life jackets, float cushions, oars, extra pull start rope and an extra gallon of gas just in case.

Don't forget a smaller machete and a tarp I have both I'm my pack with a lot of the other stuff mentioned above in it, the Pack doesn't float but I have water proof containers in for what matters.
I'd like to figure out how to make it float if needed but really sure how guess I could d hook it to a spare throw cushion or somthing . Should I start a new thread with this question?

I have emergency/bug-out bags in my vehicle, my boats, and in my house. I don't carry many tools on board, although I should, but I do carry some basic survival gear.

Ziplock bags aren't really known for keeping things dry.

They have bags called "Aloksak" that you can buy from Brigade Quartermaster. These bags are tested by the US Navy to be waterproof to over 100 feet. They're about 3 or 4 dollars for one bag, but I recommend these for storing sensitive gear like electronics.

Since being able to build a fire is very important in cold weather, especially if you're wet, I don't think a lighter or matches are adequate. That's why I recommend at least one other alternate means of being able to start a fire. A magnesium match is one method. A magnifying glass is another. Steel wool and a 9 volt battery is yet another means.

Then, there's always potassium permanganate and glycerin. Mix these 2 substances together and it causes an exothermic reaction, for starting a fire.