What to do with gas tank and how to get adhesive off

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brando

Reaction score
So I tried posting this in my original thread with no luck so I will try a new thread. I want to be able to put my 6 gal gas tank in the back but its to big right now but I think I should be able to cut out the sides of the back bench what do guys think. Also I want to know what the best way would be to get all of the carpet adhesive that is stuck onto the front and back decks? Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• _DSC0001.JPG
    _DSC0001.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,629
  • _DSC0003.JPG
    _DSC0003.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,629
  • _DSC1377.JPG
    _DSC1377.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,629
You'll probably have to experiment with the adhesive to find what works best with that particular glue. Some times it's a heat gun, or chemical (MEK etc), or a wire brush on an angle grinder.

Alright thanks JMichale. Still looking for Ideas about the gas tank I just don't want to cut into that part of the bench if I can't but im pretty sure I can.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Take careful measurements and buy a tank that fits.
I agree that the best choice would be to buy a tank that fits. Mostly because the benches are normally a structural member of the boat and keep the sides from flexing too much. So it can be a risky proposition to remove them if you aren't adding some sort of replacement structure to take their place and provide the bracing that they use to provide.

Thanks guys so here is a pic of the area that I am thinking of removing do you still think I can't take it out.

Attachments

• boat wall.jpg
    boat wall.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 1,578
I had the same problem with a six gallon gas tank so I replaced it with a three gallon tank under the splash well. In my case, three gallons lasts for quite awhile. I do carry a spare one gallon can though.

There is an orange based mastic remover I found at Lowe's that removes the glue from old vinyl tiles very easily. There used to be another one that was even more efficient but I guess it wasn't environmentally safe.

I think there is a mod posted where they removed those sections behind the rear bench. I'm not sure what their results were or what they did on the mod besides that, but you might try to find it and ask them of any issues they've had. The only potential problem I could see with removing that would be that it probably adds a little support to the transom.

Saveogram Super Strip ;for wood metal auto masonry and marine Got mine at Sherwin Willams.Sure got the dried yello glue and old paint off my tin boat..Its become a staple in my garage....cva34
Use in shade and with plenty fresh air...And if you get on you Go wash it off SOON.You will get the message Quick ..Water works fine and in my cases only reddning of skin for a few hours...cva34

Nomowork what sized motor are you running? I have a 15 hp and while it does sip the gas one trip up and down pool 8 of the Mississippi and a good portion of the gas can be burned up.

Brando said:
Nomowork what sized motor are you running? I have a 15 hp and while it does sip the gas one trip up and down pool 8 of the Mississippi and a good portion of the gas can be burned up.

I have a 15hp four stroke Honda purchased new in 2011. I only use it in lakes in the Eastern Sierras so the three gallon gas tank lasts for a whole week while we're up there and then some. I posted in another thread that I probably could have used a 9.9 or 8 hp for my needs as that is what I see mostly in those lakes on the tin boats.

For larger lakes and ocean, I take my 90hp glass boat.

Latest posts