Am I expecting Too Much out of my paint job?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
I put my wench on and bolted it down, then had to take it off, was surprised to see how much paint had chipped off just in this process, notice the chips on the side where i just bumped it with the socket wrench. I didnt feel like i hit it that hard.

I used Tractor Implement Paint Valspar w/ hardener, from Tractor supply with the Rust Primer as the base.

Am i just expecting to much from my paint? I mean i know paint twill chip and scratch, i just remember people talking about how good a paint the Tractor Paint is and how hard it can be.

imagehml.jpg

Being hard might be exactly why it chipped so easy. Getting your paint too heavy can cause issues also. And how sure are you that your metal was clean before applying the paint.

Good point, on the metal being clean.

It was one of the few pieces that i couldn't properly grind all the rust off of. cause of all the small corners and tight spaces.

It's a shame.

You young people don't remember the great days, long gone, of the infamous

"rubber baby buggy bumpers,"

made famous by an animated hero and his sidekick.

:)

chips=like he said, maybe too hard. There's a bumper sticker: "Chips happen."

Merry Christmas.

:mrgreen:

I've painted steel for the last six years everything from bridge beam to cat road graders and if it isn't clean it don't stick well and the thicker the paint the more it cracks and chips. Most paint everyday people can buy the steel has the be pretty clean to have a paint job that last. I have used a industrial epoxy that you could paint over the rustyest steel you can find and it stick and it was put on real thick your boat has about 2-3 mils of paint this had 25 mils of paint.

Latest posts