Flex seal ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseverns

Reaction score
Ok so my wife got me a can of flex seal for Xmas as a joke since I have been patching some hole in my boat. Do y'all think this "as seen on tv" product will really work if I used it on the inside?

There is a reason that you won't find most "As Seen on TV" products in stores. They don't want to deal with all the dissatisfied customers they expect to have if they did sell it. A friend of mine bought some of the Flex Seal when it first came out. I won't list all the names I called him. :lol: I challenged him to show me one thing he did with it that he considered himself to be satisfied with the results. I've never heard another word from him on the subject of Flex Seal so you can draw your own conclusions. :mrgreen:

I don't know about the boat but I have used it on leaks on air powered potato guns. It works good got that. And alot of my buddies use it on there waders

One thing I noticed on the commercial is when the they put the screen door boat in the water the screen doesn't flex from the force of the water pushing it up.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
One thing I noticed on the commercial is when the they put the screen door boat in the water the screen doesn't flex from the force of the water pushing it up.

LOL :LOL2: Who the hell would put a screen door on a boat, anyway? That makes about as much sense as an inflatable dartboard. Or a solar-powered flashlight. :roll:

Just about all the 'as seen on tv' stuff is JUNK, a ripoff. About like taking a dump on some white bread and advertising it as a BBQ sandwich, or maybe slapping some whipped cream on a pile of crap and advertising it as a hot fudge sundae. Some people would actually fall for it, spend good money for it, and take a bite, even.

The ONLY thing I ever bought from TV, or an infomercial, that I actually found effective, was a set of "Metrinch" wrenches and sockets, designed to fit standard, metric, or even rounded-off nuts and bolts. I've had them for almost 18 years, and still use them on a regular basis.

But just about anything else on those TV commercials, is pure junk. Ray Charles could see it with Stevie Wonder pointing it out to him.

I see a lot of the guys who bash it haven't even tried it but doubt it because it's an "As seen on TV product". GRANTED, most of the stuff is cheap junk... I've used Flex-Seal and it does work.. Like with any spray on product, prep is key. Once you have a clean toothy surface you apply LIGHT coats, don't cake it all on at once. Apply several light coat layers allowing a few minutes between coats like as if you were spray painting. The back of the can even suggests applying it this way. If you cake it on, it's never going to cure/bond correctly like with any sealer product. My guess is the people with negative reviews probably didn't do the correct prep and caked it on.

It's available at Lowes and a couple of other stores local to me so I picked up a can. Used it as a temp fix on a couple of slow leaky rivets on my boat and didn't have a problem. *I have since replaced those couple of leaky rivets!!* But at the time of replacement, the Flex-Seal did hold up (removing it wasn't fun though). I replaced the rivets for peace of mind as the flex seal was only used for a temp repair, but it did work and it probably would have held up for a while who knows.

However after examining it, it seems it's nothing more than a glorified version of rubberized spray automotive undercoating, which also works great for sealing a slight leak. Just so I don't get yelled at by anybody, I should add that the "real" way to fix a leak/hole on an alum boat is to pound the rivets, replace rivets, alum sheet patch + rivets, weld etc! I've heard good things about Gluvit & similar products but never tried it so I can't vouch, sounds like good stuff though. But for an inexpensive quick temp fix till you have the time, sure try it! If you only have a leaky rivet, it will do the trick till you get around to a more permanent repair.

Now, if your boat has a HOLE in it.... this isn't for you, obviously. As much as I had success with the product, that screen door on the boat bottom is very very far fetched haha. But if you have a slow leaky rivet, it can't hurt to try. That''s just my $ .02 and experience with it not looking to start a Flex-Seal debate lol. However I think they should send me a free can or something for my good words about it. :mrgreen: :roll: Just kidding.

Sorry for the long reply I just get uneasy when I see guys bashing products that they admit they haven't even tried.. :roll: :mrgreen:

-Mike

I thought of using Flex etc or Pickup bed liner on the inside of my little tin boat instead of Paint.
Dark in color, non Skid rough surface and may help keep water out, but will make it easy to wash, and the odd dropped Hook won't stick into it.

If you fish in your Bare feet, rugs are OK, but I'd bet the Poly stuff would be a good thing for the inside of the boat.

Latest posts