9.9 hp or 15 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trueblue1970

Reaction score
I could use some advice. I currently have a 1432 flat jon. I re-did the transom and overall it is a solid boat. My cap. plate is intact but the HP is not visible (of course). I am debating on whether I should put on a johnson 15 hp (1985) or a john 9.9 hp (2004). The 15hp is an electric and pull start. I am also planning on buying a newer 15-16 foot mod V in the future and would use this motor on that boat as well. I would say the 15 hp would be better for the larger boat. Would either be good for my 14' now? Or is the 15 hp too much?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The 15 should be fine.

Thank you sir. Although it is older, it is $400 cheaper. But would work better on a bigger boat down the road.

I was worried about the 15 hp on the narrow 14. Thanks!

thudpucker said:
Stick with 9.9 as there are some lakes that do not allow more HP.

Any of the larger lakes I fish at have no limit. I do use the 14' with my trolling motor on an electric only lake/canals.

BUT I was able to remove some paint on the cap plate. It states max 6HP. WOW....that is not much HP at all. It is a 1992 OMC Aluminum Boat Group boat...

It sound like a very light weight boat.
How many benches and do the ribs go up the sides or just on the floor?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
It sound like a very light weight boat.
How many benches and do the ribs go up the sides or just on the floor?

The boat has 3 benches and the ribs go up the sides. It is a solid boat, no flex whatsoever. I had a sears at one time and this is much more solid/sturdier. The aluminum is a mush better grade. I was shocked when I saw 6 HP, barely though because the side was drilled into and crushed a bit. I highly doubt there was a number in front of that 6, but I wishful thinking had me staring at it for a few minutes lol.

Sounds like a sturdy boat. I myself would go for the 15 hp motor especially if your thinking of getting a bigger boat. You don't have to go WOT all the time.

Go with the most horsepower you can afford. I'm not sure how easy it is to modify the Johnson's 9.9 from the 90's but the ones from the 70's you could just swap carburetors with the 15hp. It became a fad for those who fish horsepower restricted lakes.

Does the transom have a knee brace? If not you should consider installing one.

Latest posts