hep' me!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecirb_88

Reaction score
hey all, if you look in this picture you will see wood trim in the top of this tin boat, it seems to have no purpose, and i have seen no other tin boats on this site with them. let me know what you thing, also it doesn't even go to the front, only about 3/4 of the way. thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 981
ecirb_88 said:
hey all, if you look in this picture you will see wood trim in the top of this tin boat, it seems to have no purpose, and i have seen no other tin boats on this site with them. let me know what you thing, also it doesn't even go to the front, only about 3/4 of the way. thanks!

Is the wood on the top/rail? Looks like it. Never seen anything like this, im curious to know myself. Maybe PO added so things can be mounted on it?

The hull might have had more flex the a previous owner liked and added the wood to the gunnel to stiffen it up.

JMichael said:
I'm not sure what's wood in that picture. Do you have a pic that's a little clearer or shows the wood better?

the top section on the inside of the boat is where the wood is jmichael. i don't have a better picture because i took the wood off when i painted,, so the only picture i have is the zoomed in one i posted.

true blue, i was also thinking it was maybe for support but when i took it off it didn't seem to make much difference, and i can tell the previous owner did it because the bold holes are random and uneven and painfully obviously not factory. thank you all for the advise, i believe i will not replace that wood rail.

Looks like an Oak tree to me =D>

The Trim is to keep your line from breaking on sharp edges of aluminum.
It's also warmer on your little hands.
And looks esthetically appeasing.
Drives the Greenies nuts that you cut down a tree to trim your tin boat. :mrgreen:

trueblue1970 said:
Is the wood on the top/rail? Looks like it. Never seen anything like this, im curious to know myself. Maybe PO added so things can be mounted on it?

My glass boat has wood under the gunwales which makes it easier to mount steering cables, wires, etc. Looks like the PO probably mounted the wood for that purpose instead of making many holes in the aluminum.