Wood transom or aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for a few days and have gotten some great ideas from others on here. I recently bought a 1984 14 foot Dura Craft. The boat is in great shape other than the transom was pretty much shot. The previous owner had drilled multiple holes through the transom. My question is should I replace with wood or spend the few extra dollars and go all aluminum? I don't see a lot of others that have done this, maybe it's not practical. I know I would like to weld the 1/2'' size holes he drilled through the transom anyway. Any advice is welcome. Thanks again

I was going to get the holes in my transom welded. When the welder saw it, he said it would take forever to weld up all the holes one at a time. He had some scrap 1/8th" aluminum plate laying around that he was able to cut a piece almost as big as my transom. He welded that to the outside of my transom, which covered all the holes. Then I installed new wood on the inside. You can see pics of what I'm taking about in my build thread. It's linked in my sig.

Click this link. The aluminum transom I put in this 1650 jet boat might give you some ideas.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27781&p=285360#p285360

After looking at bassboys solution I should probably add that the route I chose was for a budget build, and my total cost for the transom repair was a 30 pack of Bud Light. For that price, I can live with the fact that the 1/8" plate didn't completely cover the transom. :mrgreen:

Go wood and paint it. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. Fill the holes with screws and washers and put a marine silicone or sealant in the holes and on the washer when you do it. A lot of transoms and floors rot out because people do not take care of their stuff. If you take care of it, it will last 10 to 20 years. Maybe more.

The biggest issue I had was drilling out the old rivets and trying to hammer them out. If they didn't hammer out, then I had to grind them off. It was not an experience I enjoyed. Everything else with the transom replacement went well. It just took time.

Latest posts