Flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolan smith

Reaction score
What is the best way to secure a floor of a v hull to the ribs and do I need to put foam under the floor an so is a bilge pump a must???

Get some aluminum angle from lowes. 1/8 inch by 1 1/4 should be strong enough. Rivet it to the ribs at desired height. Keep framework level and install your flooring. If you are gonna use wood... use regular non treated wood and seal it first.

Foam is only as good as the floor over top of it. If the floor will sit on the foam itself then use it. But use closed cell foam. Usually pink green or blue. if u are just putting it in to put it in, its only good if the boat flips over. Or takes on large amounts of water. Your boat displaces the same amount of water regardless with or without foam. Weight is the final determining factor in water displacement.

Bilge pump is always a good idea. No matter what the situation.

Find a metals supply house it will be much cheaper than buying it a lowes, home depot or menards.

putting foam under your floor for support is a great way to save weight so you can go with a smaller guage aluminum or a thinner ply...

sssss.png

heres how i attached my floor between the front deck and rear bench using a 4x8 sheet of 0.90 5052 aluminum sheet with 5 supports ran parrallel to the ribs so i didnt have to drill into the ribs. there is no flex and it supports it really well. i used closed cell foam sheets glued together and sanded to fit the contour of the hull and left a 2 inch channel open down the center line of the hull to allow any water to drain to the back by the bilge...

Latest posts