What should I use for flooring?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobxrt

Reaction score
I have a 14' Landau jon boat with a 40hp on it. Anyway I was wondering if I should leave the aluminum floor and paint it or put wood over the aluminum and paint it. My concern was the aluminum would get too hot in the summer. Also any advice on sealing or painting would be greatly appreciated.
Jacob

Alot of people swear by using spar urethane to seal their decks. You can also use fiberglass resin which "encapsulates" the wood. If it was my.boat id use the resin as im used to working with fiberglass. The aluminum will get super hot in the summer. Not sure where you're from but here in LA it gets HOT. Carpet helped me out alot. You can also use rubber mats. Ive heard of people using heavy duty rubber mats called "stall mats". But i cant see spending that much on them. Just browse the modifications section and there's plenty of ideas you can get

Does it have an existing aluminum over foam floor now or are you talking about the hull aluminum for the current floor? Mine is aluminum over foam and when I get my front deck finished, I plan to use Ultra Tuff/Tuff Coat on my floor. I've done a bit of research on it and according to what I've read it's got very good non skid properties even when wet and it is very durable. I've also read that it does well in full sun if you go with a light color. Here is a link to the company but Cabela's also sells it.
https://www.tuffcoat.net/wordpress/

Alot of people swear by using spar urethane to seal their decks. You can also use fiberglass resin which "encapsulates" the wood. If it was my.boat id use the resin as im used to working with fiberglass. The aluminum will get super hot in the summer. Not sure where you're from but here in LA it gets HOT. Carpet helped me out alot. You can also use rubber mats. Ive heard of people using heavy duty rubber mats called "stall mats". But i cant see spending that much on them. Just browse the modifications section and there's plenty of ideas you can get
Thanks for the information, and how do you go about applying the carpet to the plywood?

Does it have an existing aluminum over foam floor now or are you talking about the hull aluminum for the current floor? Mine is aluminum over foam and when I get my front deck finished, I plan to use Ultra Tuff/Tuff Coat on my floor. I've done a bit of research on it and according to what I've read it's got very good non skid properties even when wet and it is very durable. I've also read that it does well in full sun if you go with a light color. Here is a link to the company but Cabela's also sells it.
https://www.tuffcoat.net/wordpress/
Yes it has aluminum over the aluminum hull, and I will have to look at that ultra tuff. Looks like a great idea! Thanks

Or what about putting carpet over the aluminum floor? Is this possible? If so how would I go about doing this. My main reason is to save on weight and money.
Thanks,
Jacob

Henry's outdoor carpet glue and a knotched trowel from lowes or contact cement will work. Spray adhesive is an option too

jacobxrt said:
Yes it has aluminum over the aluminum hull, and I will have to look at that ultra tuff. Looks like a great idea! Thanks
Before you apply any coating, wood, or whatever route you decide to go with, You should check the foam under the aluminum. Quite a few people that have done this (myself included) have found that the foam is so water saturated that it's the equivalent of another passenger in the boat. I don't remember the exact weight but I think mine came out to 150+ lbs of wet foam that I took out. The new "dry" foam only weighed about 7lbs if that much.

Before you apply any coating, wood, or whatever route you decide to go with, You should check the foam under the aluminum. Quite a few people that have done this (myself included) have found that the foam is so water saturated that it's the equivalent of another passenger in the boat. I don't remember the exact weight but I think mine came out to 150+ lbs of wet foam that I took out. The new "dry" foam only weighed about 7lbs if that much.
I was thinking about doing this. Just not sure how the floor is attached. Hopefully it is not too hard to remove.
Thanks,
Jacob

This is, IMnotsoHO, the best option. Painted with playground sand incorporated in the paint application, you cant go wrong! Carpet and wood don't belong in my boat!
I was thinking the same thing. I just wasn't sure about how much sand to add or if it only applies to certain paints? If you have any experience or tips I would greatly appreciate them.
Thanks,
Jacob

I used contact cement to apply my carpet to my boat. I didnt use wood i applied it to the aluminum. But for the wood it would be the same method just make sure you seal it first. I took a wire wheel to mine to knock off all the chunks.of.left over glue, then wiped it with mineral spirits then applied the glue. I just did the front deck and.back deck where i stand at. My is laid out like a bass boat so i didnt need to use wood.
20120421_155111.jpg

Latest posts