rusty trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out Ospho rust treatment. Its great stuff, i just got done brushing a coat on my whole trailer and tomorrow ill be cold galvanizing over it.
https://www.ospho.com/

Anything else is just a band aid, $40 ospho will go a loooong way and its the right way to treat rust.
I think you can get smaller bottles.

ha i see i thought all they had where the big bottles 40 dollars will work for me thank you

Looks to be the same product as Rust-Mort. I know Rust-Mort is sold in smaller quantities like pint and quart size.

https://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDepot/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=SEM+69504&gclid=CKKkxNi3yLQCFcKPPAodAFYAxw

And IMO, the proper way to fix it would be to sand blast and apply a protective coating whether that be paint, powder coat, galvanize, etc.

I pretested a rusty trailer with a hammer before doing anything to it. I found many spots where the hammer went through the frame rails! Needless to say, I bought a new trailer for that boat.

You will need to remove as much of the rust as possible. I used paint and rust removal wheels that chucked in my drill. you can also use floppy sanding disk on an angle grinder then coat the trailer with a rust re-former product.

mine had surface rust and old black spray paint, and i used one of those sand paper wheels that goes on an angle grinder, takes some time but it does get the job done.

If i had it to do over again i would get it sand blasted, local place here quoted me about "ball park" of $70 for that much, to know they will get it all off and save on my time, i would have done that if i had to do over again.

Plus i didnt have an angle grinder, so i had to buy that, which is still a good purchase though since i can and did use it for other things on my trailer.

I bought a cheap hand grinder from harbor freight and some cupped wire wheels for most of it and regular wire wheels for the nooks and crannies.

Latest posts