Quick question about pulling a tube.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kochy

Reaction score
I'm wondering about pulling a tube with my 87 Bass tracker, its a 45 hp so it should pull a tube quite nicely. What I'm wondering is if I buy a tube, where should I hook it, should I build something sticking out of my back deck, and reinforce the piss out of it to the boat, or can I just hook the tow rope right up to the engine, because my Merc, has kind of like handle things coming off the back of it, I'm unsure and this coming summer I really want to have some fun and take some of my buddies out and have a blast. Also I remember hearing someone talk about a pull bar for Fiberglass bass boats, if someone could give me a link to one, I'd appreciate it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Does your boat have transom tie down rings, or handles?

If so, make a tow bridle from a 15' piece of line that runs from ring to ring, around the outboard, and attach the tube line to the bridle with a carabiner or shackle. Slipping the loop of the tube line over the bridle is not a good idea, as the sliding from side to side will wear out the end of the loop - the stainless clevis allows it to slide with minimal wear.
I prefer to allow the tube line to slide along the bridle, as opposed to tying it tight, as when it's tied tight, the inside half of the bridle will go slack around the turn, and pull the boat around moreso than if it's pulling evenly the whole way.

I kind of have a picture of what you're saying, could you show me any pictures of these knots I'd have to tie? I have the hooks in the transom for attaching to the trailer. They're freaking strong.

Go get a tow harness that they sell at Walmart or any other store which sells towables. It has clamps that connect to where the tie downs go when you put the boat on a trailer. They also sell them at bass pro, cabals, overton's......

Gotem said:
Go get a tow harness that they sell at Walmart or any other store which sells towables. It has clamps that connect to where the tie downs go when you put the boat on a trailer. They also sell them at bass pro, cabals, overton's......
This!!! They also have a float in the middle to help keep the rope out of the prop. Your boat will pull the tube fine except in really tight turns the force of the tubers will tend to pull a lightweight aluminum boat sideways a little.

So the back end is going to be drifting a bit? That's gunna be kind of scary lol. Can't wait to get out on the water again.

Latest posts