Bench seat fuel tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocesride

Reaction score
I am new to posting on the site but have been reading for some time now. I am looking to put my fuel tank in my middle bench seat. Just wondering if anyone else has done this to see if I can get some ideas. I know the seat has foam in it but I am not worried about removing just enough to fit the tank. Initial thought is the put a top mount hinged access hatch for removal and filling of the tank, just not sure exactly how I will make the hatch so it doesn't look ghetto while still allowing someone to sit there. This is a pic of my current setup. Just looking to gain a little extra space.

Attachments

• gas tank setup.JPG
    gas tank setup.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 987
Welcome to tinboats.net, rocesride!
Not sure about "ghetto", but you might look at the build in my signature.
I added room for a 6 gal. tank under the middle bench, and did not sacrifice any foam. But I often use the space for a cooler with a 3 gal. tank behind the aft bench. Lots of other good suggestions also to be found on the forum.

Thanks for your reply and great write up! Did you do any sort of framing for your front deck? I am also looking to something similar this winter.

rocesride said:
Thanks for your reply and great write up! Did you do any sort of framing for your front deck? I am also looking to something similar this winter.
I did frame in the front deck. I ran supports at the back and front edges of the front bench from side to side. And I ran supports from each side of the front bench to the v at the bow. All framing was sealed 2x2 and secured to the front bench with SS fasteners. The front of the framing rested on the hull at the bow for additional support. I did not include a photo of this in my posting, but would be happy to email one if you forward your email address...you can pm that to me at your convenience.
Rick

After doing some more thinking I may stray away from the enclosed fuel tank enclosure due to fume venting. Most likely won't be an issue but better safe than sorry. Brainstorming other locations for the tank now. The stern just isn't a good idea in my boat due to the weight of the large motor (30hp). The more weight I can get forward the better. Ideas are welcome!!

Totally understand; venting is always a good idea. On my Gregor, the vertical bench facings were thin aluminum so cutting openings for front and back louvered vents was easy.

Gas up front.jpg

I put the Gas n' Battery right up front.
Later added a better shelf and put the Battery up there with the fuel.
Hook the Battery before you put the fuel in, and pull the fuel out before you undo the Battery.

In the PacNW I helped put a Fuel tank under the center seat on a 16' Star Craft riveted Aluminum boat.
The Coasties were really unhappy with that. [-X
The Floatation of a fuel tank equals or exceeds that foam.
The possibility of leaks. A tank not certified by the PhD's and the USCG sent them into spasm's of Shock. :oops:
We had to take it out. :evil:

It'd be nice to have all that fuel in the 70's but now it'll have so much Alcohol you'd be better off to buy more frequently.

Latest posts