sizing up your boat for a boat cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17ft'r

Reaction score
Hi all. Hey I purchased a boat cover for my 14' (not 17'). I ordered one for 14' with a beam of 68".

This boat of mine has a early model (maybe) 12" high (windshield), the boat is a 1967 mirrocraft aluminum.

The cover will (not) extend to the sides of the boat (by the sides of the windshield). The picture on the web site (showed) that size with a windshield, so it should fit.

I've noticed now that it has happened to me that in reading reviews for other boat tops some of the complaints have been (among others) "advertised" length does not fix the advertised model.

I ordered a 12' - 14' length should I have ordered the 15' - 16'? has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks for listening,

17ft'r (don't let the handle fool ya.

I quit wasting my money on boat covers that burn up quick in the hot 'Bama sun and don't quite fit right quite a few years ago.

Been using the $20 blue tarps from Wal-mart for about 10 yrs now, I go through 2 a year.

CopyofDSC02338.jpg

A 12x24' cinches down tight as a drum on my 17' Tracker with only 8 bungee cords.

I can see the $$$ savings right now, I just don't how well it will travel otr.
You know the (4) things that have never let me down are: Duck tape, ceiling fan, divorce attorney and ofcourse the above mentioned TARP!

Thanks for your time,

17ft'r

I went the next step up (maybe)

https://billboardtarps.myshopify.com/pages/faq

2nd year for my little caesars pizza pizza billboard and still no holes.

Your right on, the next size up, its just that they do not have the color I wanted in that size, but a cover is what I need not the color.

Thanks for your time,

17ft'r

17ft'r said:
I can see the $$$ savings right now, I just don't how well it will travel otr.
You know the (4) things that have never let me down are: Duck tape, ceiling fan, divorce attorney and ofcourse the above mentioned TARP!

Thanks for your time,

17ft'r

They actually trailer (travel) better than you might think.

Towed my boat from Birmingham Al. to Lake Nippissing in central Ontario Canada (1200 mi. one way) and back using the blue tarp. I did use 2, one over the other... and you have to use more bungee cords, bungee every grommit (2 grommits with 1 bungee). I also flattened out a cardboard box and folded it over the bow mount trolling motor to keep the prop from cutting the tarp while being towed. No problems towing 75 mph up there and back.

Latest posts