New, to me, tool on Google maps..perfect for boating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
On Google EARTH, there is a handy tool useful for measuring distances between various points.................TOOLS/RULER....

I also use Google MAPS often. Often, when I was in MAPS..I would have to switch over to EARTH to find out the paddling distances on a future trip. Yesterday, I asked on the Google MAPS forum if the ruler was available on MAPS as well. IT IS! I have posted ---below--- the answer I got.

Incidentally, if you want to measure in miles; yards, or anything else, you have to check "I am geeky" or something like that. You are then given a long list of various measurement units to choose from. Otherwise, everything comes up just in feet.... regards, Rich

GMapperHF Post reply

Jan 5 (9 hours ago)

At the lower left corner of the Google Maps window there is a ruler icon that provides similar functionality.

If you don't see the ruler icon, access the "maps labs" link located at the bottom of the white area to the left of the map window. From within Maps Labs, enable the distance measurement tool.

I use a app called My Tracks on my phone out on the water when fishing. Tells me how many miles I have been and average speed, and shows a map where I have trolled. Also give the amount of time on the trip, helps figure out about how much time I have left on the trolling batteries. It was designed for walking and hiking but it works for this too. I also got one called GPS speedometer I use it to figure the top speed of the boat. Its pretty accurate on the speed when compared to the van. But it wont work when trolling because it wont work under 5 mph.

Steve

I use google earth all the time for fishing and other things. One feature I like using on google earth is the historical imagery. I can go back to an older image that was during low water, and all kinds of usfull info like deep holes in shallow backwaters, humps, bars, etc.

acabtp said:
this is handy for hunting too, i use it to mark legal distances from buildings, etc.
Lol you sound like me dnr rides up the river to the boat and check us and said you look and little bit close to these home pull out the phone 101 sir pull out the range finder and give it to him 101 looks good have a good day. I love smacking ducks is rich hoods and waking then up at first light lol.

Latest posts