Spider Rigging - Show your setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like you, I'm just starting on my setup, so I wouldn't mind seeing some pics also. I decided to start with a 4 pole setup for now and add more later if I think I'm coordinated enough to handle them. My driftmaster 250 came in the other day but I dont have it installed on my boat yet. I haven't decided what length poles I'm going to use yet either.

JMichael said:
Like you, I'm just starting on my setup, so I wouldn't mind seeing some pics also. I decided to start with a 4 pole setup for now and add more later if I think I'm coordinated enough to handle them. My driftmaster 250 came in the other day but I dont have it installed on my boat yet. I haven't decided what length poles I'm going to use yet either.

My Dad has a nice setup on his 1860 with 6 poles on a single T on the front and 8 off the back on two Ts. I think all of his holders are the Pro 200-H model. He uses 12, 14 and 16ft poles. Each length has its place in his setup. I'll probably stick with 12ft because my boat is small.

Hopefully some folks will chime in and share what they know.

Taking the old pic vs 1k words to heart here. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_cfDXlmhsc

Maybe I should have also said it gets it's name from the fact that all the poles sticking out look like a spiders legs, hence spider rig.

Ahhhh got it, looks like fun.....I think they call them shellcrackers here. I want to try the freshwater lakes soon.

Shellcracker around here is just another variety of the bream/panfish group, like bluegill, red ear, etc. I think they are all in the same family with only slight differences in their markings and size. The adult shellcracker seems to get slightly larger in size on avg to the others, but to me they all taste the same.

someone on here made an awesome looking spider rig out of aluminum tube or angle... I can't remember who made it though, but I think it would hold maybe up to 8 rods off the rear deck.

It was almost made like a T shape, where the top of the T ran the width of the boat. I'll do some searching to see if I can find a link (it may not have been this site, it could have been on the local Georgia GON Forum

Found it... it was Quackrstackr -- https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9815&p=101557&hilit=spider+rig#p101557

if anyone wants more info on spider riggin' for crappie than they can comprehend, check out crappie.com, lots and lots of info on set ups from rod holders, rods, lures, speeds, methods of madness, etc. Search for spider rigging, SR, or look in the MS state forum, they do it year round there.

I don't SR (too many rods to deal with) but use driftmaster rod holders. If anyone wants some driftmaster gunsliger holders and just the holders, no T bar, let me know I got 4 in the shed in good shape.

JMichael said:
Shellcracker around here is just another variety of the bream/panfish group, like bluegill, red ear, etc. I think they are all in the same family with only slight differences in their markings and size. The adult shellcracker seems to get slightly larger in size on avg to the others, but to me they all taste the same.
You know now that you say they are in the bream family I am sure they are the same fish.....heck I have no idea what all the freshwater species are.....one time I used a bluegill for bait and caught the biggest bass to date 7lbs. My uncle was mad at me since it was the only bluegill we caught that day...he wanted to eat him......... :lol:

bigwave said:
JMichael said:
You know now that you say they are in the bream family I am sure they are the same fish.....heck I have no idea what all the freshwater species are.....one time I used a bluegill for bait and caught the biggest bass to date 7lbs. My uncle was mad at me since it was the only bluegill we caught that day...he wanted to eat him......... :lol:
Well that makes us even then because I'm totally lost when you guys start talking about sheephead, reds, etc and have no clue what they look like or whether they're good to eat. :lol: A lot of guys around here will use bluegill for live bait when they're after catfish.

Well lets just say I live vicariously through you freshwater guys......some of the things yall come up with really blows my mind. The next time I go marlin fishing I will show you our version of a spider rig......only difference is our line is 80lb test and our leaders are 540lb........here are a few pics of our setup.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2 (31).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (31).jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 999
  • imagejpeg_2 (33).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (33).jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 999
  • imagejpeg_2 (34).jpg
    imagejpeg_2 (34).jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 999
Spider rigging seems like a lot of work....give me two or three rods, a bucket full of minnows, and a beaver dam in the spring!
Chris

chrispbrown27 said:
Spider rigging seems like a lot of work....give me two or three rods, a bucket full of minnows, and a beaver dam in the spring!
Chris

It's not too bad. I've only had about 4-5 years experience, so I'm not one of those old timers. You learn little tricks along the way to make setting up a little easier. And it is good fun when 3 or 4 or 6 rod go off at once. We've hit schools of white bass and small stripers and lots of poles get bent! But a little frustration with 6 or more 12ft+ poles is inevitable.

One of the many great things about the love we share is there's something for everyone

bigwave said:
Well lets just say I live vicariously through you freshwater guys......some of the things yall come up with really blows my mind. The next time I go marlin fishing I will show you our version of a spider rig......only difference is our line is 80lb test and our leaders are 540lb........here are a few pics of our setup.
My salt water fishing experience consist a group charter thing out of Miami with 30 people drifting over a reef. I caught a 12 lb bonita and I thought my arms were going to fall off after I landed that thing. Couldn't believe how much fight that fish had.

Latest posts