convert to stick steer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikeordie092

Reaction score
ok, so i have a '67 evinrude 18hp and its a tiller steer... i am in the middle of "re-modifying" my boat and i would like to look into making it a stick steer in the process... the motor almost seems like it was made for something like that, looks as if it has "brackets" for the throttle and shift linkage, and a hole in the bar on the front of the bottom half of the motor... my question is, how would one go about making "home made" stick steer controls for a motor like this? it would have to have 3 different sticks if i am correct.. one for shifting, one for throttle, and one for steering.. any input on how to not spend hundreds of dollars into making this happen? i have some pretty handy fabricating skills.....

The guy I bought mine from happened to hang on to the up front steering system, and it's just that... on the left a big lever forward is right, back is left, and on the right side are 2 levers, one for shift and one for throttle. I put mine back on, and i think it's great. Good luck on the fab... there are systems you can get on the net for a couple hundred bucks.

Also https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-EVINRUDE-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-SHIFT-AND-THROTTLE-CONTROLS-JOHNSON-/140902404985?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item20ce701379&vxp=mtr

there are various random ones you can find around.

well, the more i think about it, the more i start to incorporate car parts into this lol (i work at autozone). im thinking i may find really long choke cables for the shift and throttle linkage, but im not sure on the one for the steering, as i know it would have to be more heavy duty than the other 2...

I dreamed this up some years ago for a big ChrisCraft.
You could modify the input for your stick.
Nice think about Hydraulics is the ratio is variable. You can make it 10:1 or 1:10.
manual Hyd Cylinders.jpg

Attachments

• Drawing of HYD.pdf
    95.2 KB · Views: 30
im not the best with hydraulics, but wouldnt i need one pump for each direction? or would it "suck" the lever the other way as well? i would need 3 2-way levers to make it happen

I'm all for home made/DIY and saving bucks. But IMO it would be one thing to make home built controls, but to accomplish all of this via hydraulics would be another mater entirely. You'd need one pump, 3 cylinders, 3 valves, lots of hoses, and of course a means of driving the hydraulic pump. Just looking at that alone, haven't you lost sight of your goal of not spending hundreds on this.

If you're going to attempt to do this, I would think you would almost have to go with the standard (teleflex or whatever brand) cables that are made for this purpose. Partially because of the length of cable required and because the cable must be able to push and pull, but mostly because the cost of the shift/throttle cables are not that much. Steering cables are a bit more expensive though. I haven't priced any stick steer units but I know you can pick up a single lever shift/throttle control for less than $30 if you watch ebay. So for around $70 you could have a pretty nice shift and throttle setup with new cables. Stick steer systems seem to run $260 ish on ebay and that doesn't include the $100 worth of hardware to connect the steering cable to the motor. So that would seem to be the place where a DIY approach might be able to save some $$$. But that's just my rambling on the subject so turn back to your regular channel now.

JMichael said:
I'm all for home made/DIY and saving bucks. But IMO it would be one thing to make home built controls, but to accomplish all of this via hydraulics would be another mater entirely. You'd need one pump, 3 cylinders, 3 valves, lots of hoses, and of course a means of driving the hydraulic pump. Just looking at that alone, haven't you lost sight of your goal of not spending hundreds on this.

If you're going to attempt to do this, I would think you would almost have to go with the standard (teleflex or whatever brand) cables that are made for this purpose. Partially because of the length of cable required and because the cable must be able to push and pull, but mostly because the cost of the shift/throttle cables are not that much. Steering cables are a bit more expensive though. I haven't priced any stick steer units but I know you can pick up a single lever shift/throttle control for less than $30 if you watch ebay. So for around $70 you could have a pretty nice shift and throttle setup with new cables. Stick steer systems seem to run $260 ish on ebay and that doesn't include the $100 worth of hardware to connect the steering cable to the motor. So that would seem to be the place where a DIY approach might be able to save some $$$. But that's just my rambling on the subject so turn back to your regular channel now.

lol, exactly my point... but i believe i could use something like a manual choke pulloff for a car as the shift/throttle linkages, but i do believe i will have to get the teleflex of what not for the other, as i dont know of anything on a car (that i can buy at autozone) that would be strong enough to steer the motor, im guessing it takes roughly 30-40 lbs to steer, depending on what way your trying to go.. but i dont see any "poundage" ratings for any of the cables i look at.....

I've never worked at a parts store but I don't think I've ever seen a choke cable over about 6' long before and I would think you would need 12' or longer (depending on the size of your boat) for front controls. Do they make them that long?

JMichael said:
I've never worked at a parts store but I don't think I've ever seen a choke cable over about 6' long before and I would think you would need 12' or longer (depending on the size of your boat) for front controls. Do they make them that long?

actually, we sell them up to 15' and theyre decently cheap. i havent decided if i want the controls in the center of the boat or in the front, but there is a 12' for $14

Come to think of it, I have a set of OMC cables I'd sell really cheap.
You can make any kind of Lever atatchment for the Stick end. These cables were shift and throttle.

DSCN0198.jpgcable other ends.jpg

Do a google search for "stick steering systems" and the systems will come up. I looked into this briefly for my flatbottom and the system was not very expensive for the steering. ($200-300). Throttle controls may be another issue however for that year engine.

I have a 68' 18 Evinrude. Those motors were designed to run with cable/pulley systems. The new hydraulics will work but do not allow for enough left/right travel. That hole in the middle of the front is for a T shaped bracket that allows the cables to be attached. The controls can be found on ebay for 50-100 bucks. Make sure you get the ones with complete cables and not cut out of the box. These links will be a great help. You may have to sign up to see the diagrams in the iboats thread. They pretty much show you everything you are asking. In the below diagram just submit a stick for the wheel.

https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/easy-stick-steering-home-made-385598.html

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/columns/max/04/part1.htm

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/columns/max/05/part2.htm

Attachments

• Pully Steering - 2.JPG
    Pully Steering - 2.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 3,477
  • Pully Steering.jpg
    Pully Steering.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3,477
  • more stick steering 002.jpg
    more stick steering 002.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 3,477
  • more stick steering 001.jpg
    more stick steering 001.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3,477
tnriverluver- yeah i did a search but id rather not spend that much... lol yeah i know im greedy... christmas and my 10 month old have pretty well drained the wallet....

thudpucker- how cheap we talkin? lol

tusker- yeah i saw those pulley systems, if i cant figure out a cheap way of doing the cable style ill probably do the pulley style, but i would think there would be less slack in the cable system... the pulley system i would think would wear more and end up with slack quicker

bikeordie092 said:
tnriverluver- yeah i did a search but id rather not spend that much... lol yeah i know im greedy... christmas and my 10 month old have pretty well drained the wallet....

thudpucker- how cheap we talkin? lol

tusker- yeah i saw those pulley systems, if i cant figure out a cheap way of doing the cable style ill probably do the pulley style, but i would think there would be less slack in the cable system... the pulley system i would think would wear more and end up with slack quicker

The tension springs keep the cable tight. Yeah, the cable and set up should be inspected every year for general wear and safety. With the modern systems your boat just isn't going to make tight turns unless you make some type of custom adjustments.

i have some pretty handy fab skills lol, i plan on drilling as few holes as possible, so i think im going to attempt the teleflex style first, if it doesnt work ill just use the pulley setup.

bikeordie092 said:
i have some pretty handy fab skills lol, i plan on drilling as few holes as possible, so i think im going to attempt the teleflex style first, if it doesnt work ill just use the pulley setup.

Let me know if that teleflex works well. If so I might have to try it. I have a few buddies running it on newer outboards and they love it.

well, i decided to draw up a couple pics of what i plan to do, if it comes true or not.. who knows lol.. anything u think i should look at differently?

Attachments

• 2013-01-109523.44.39.jpg
    2013-01-109523.44.39.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 539
  • 2013-01-109523.38.59.jpg
    2013-01-109523.38.59.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 539
thudpucker- how cheap we talkin? lol[/quote said:
WEll, your gonna spend time or money. Take your choice.
Over time I came up eith everything for less than $5.
I'll have to make the Plunger parts etc yet. I think I have the 2" pipe.
I'd think the whole thing, home made could be done for less than $30.

The Shift/throttle will make you think a bit.
The Steering is straight forward, Push Pull!

thudpucker said:
WEll, your gonna spend time or money. Take your choice.
Over time I came up eith everything for less than $5.
I'll have to make the Plunger parts etc yet. I think I have the 2" pipe.
I'd think the whole thing, home made could be done for less than $30.

The Shift/throttle will make you think a bit.
The Steering is straight forward, Push Pull!

lol i would much rather spend time than money, but that may just be me lol.. i think im going to get some teleflex off ebay for the steering, since i found it for around $20... i can fab the rest lol, im not too bad with a sharpie, welder, and a reciprocating saw lol

That's great; $20. Cheaper than your time and maybe safer.

There are some Large Cables, and the people selling them can Swedge almost anything on the ends of the Cable. Use Pex Pipe for the Housing to make the cable slide easy.

Maybe you can market your project when you get it working well.

Latest posts