floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolan smith

Reaction score
do i need to attach my plywood to the aluminum framing that is made for the floor or do i just sit it on top of the framing

If this is for the lower floor you don't have to attach it. I had my old plywood floor just set in but it was a very tight fit.

It had a little bit of bounce when walked on not enough to be unstable. I wanted it easily removable for drying out or cleaning. I did not have any foam under it

I don't think so.
My old 57 Star-craft Marlin had the floor attached. The boat was so light it vibrated all the fasteners loose.

MY 15 Alweld, the floor isn't attatched. It just sits there and dont tear up the boat with vibration.
Also I can lift it to look for loose stuff that fell.

If left unscrewed, what would keep it from flying out of the boat while trailering at 80 mph?

The floor is held in place by its own weight so, as Bass n flats notes above, a tight fit is important. If you are concerned, just add a couple of screws. The other concern is keeping the floor in place if you use foam under it and the boat swamps. You want to be sure to retain the floor (and thus the foam) and not have them just float out of the boat.

rickybobbybend said:
The other concern is keeping the floor in place if you use foam under it and the boat swamps. You want to be sure to retain the floor (and thus the foam) and not have them just float out of the boat.

That happened to my Star-Craft in Prince William sound AK. Cold water too. I was lucky to make it to the Beach. I held the Floor down with my feet but most of the Floatation got away. I was overtaken by Green water.

That Riveted Star-Craft was made so light it came apart easily. We re-Riveted it at least three times to make the Keel Seal tight again. That is one type of boat I'll never own again.
Welded boats are much better.

One more caution. If you are going to put a floor in a light AL boat. Put stringers down to the Ribs, and screw the floor to the stringers. You spread out the Stress' better that way.

Latest posts