How much hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nolan smith

Reaction score
What is the lowest amount of hp I could have with a 14 foot boats and will weigh about 600 pounds but still be able to plane out

it depends on alot of different things (prop pitch, whether the hp rating is at the crank or at the prop, etc.....) BUT i have an old 18hp evinrude on my 14ft starcraft and i had myself (about 220) and 2 buddies (one probably close to 200 and the other about 175 or so) and all of our gear and stuff and i planed out and was doing probably 15mph, nowhere near what it does with just me in it, but maybe that gives you an idea...

Nolan smith said:
Thank you! do you think a 9.9 would do it?

possibly, well more like probably... if its a newer 9.9 the hp rating should be measured at the prop, my old '67 model 18 isnt... so give about a 30% loss of power on that (i believe its about the same as a car) and it gives me roughly 12.6hp to the prop, theoretically. have u seen how it handles just you in the boat yet? how fast does it get up on plane with just you and your gear?

i have a spare outboard thats a 9.9, i throw it on my boat to run it from time to time, gets it on plane with 2.5 people (me my girl and my son). its a 14 ft deep v. i have a thread on it if you want to check it out. its slow, but will get on plane, hope this helps.

link to the thread if you want to see if the boat compares to what you're pushing, https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28053

IMO, the 9.9 would be the lowest you would want to go. In the long run, you may be more pleased with a 15.

Is 600 pounds just for the hull, or is that completely loaded. If its 600 for just the hull, a 9.9 isn't going to cut it ... I'd go 15 at the least and more like 20 or 25.

If everything together is 600, then a 9.9 would do it, and a 15 would be really nice.

If you already have the 9.9, throw it on and forget about it.

If you are going to buy something .... get a 15.

I have a 14.5 ft. v hull that is around 7 to 8 hundred completely loaded,with a 15 hp. and I can run about 20 mph. on a smooth lake with a balanced load.i doubt a jon boat would though.

Latest posts