looking at new alumacrafts..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshKeller

Reaction score
i'm looking for a larger jon boat than my current 1436 fishmaster. its currently overpowered with a 65 lb trolling motor and 25 hp merc tiller. Im debating between the 1542 and the 1648 riveted boats. I primarily fish the upper potomac river and electric only lakes in the area. My question, is how will the 1648 perform with a 25 vs the rated 35. Im a bass fisherman, so I would deck out the boat and prefer to stand when I fish, so a little bit of stability is perferred.

I have a Tracker 1542 and I love the size and light weight of this boat. Very stable platform. I have run a 2 stroke 25 and currently run a new 20hp four stroke. Both motors pust this boat 28-30 mph with just me, 50lb dog, and my gear. A 1648 with a 25 will run easily 25-27 and I have seen many reports of this combo running 30+. I looked at 1648's before buying my boat and the only thing that stopped me was the increase weight of the boats since I have a very bad back and often fish areas where I have to lift a lot of my boat in order to get it on or off the trailer. If you don't have this problem go with a 1648 and don't look back. They have more room and stability and are the most sought after size when it come time to sale!

1648 all the way. I have a HEAVY welded 1648 and with a 25 i run 26mph. Boat is rated for a 40 maybe even a 50. The amount of boat you're gonna gain and stability is well worth it from a 1542 to a 1648.

i think i will just keep my old trailer/ 65 lb trolling motor/ and outboard. what would a 2001 decked out 1436 in great condition be worth without a trailer/motors?

I would go mod v. It's a little better ride when things get choppy. The square front of the flatbottom will you just a little more floor space. But, the mod v gives you a better ride. Unless its ALOT cheaper i woukd go mod v over the flat bottom and not look back. Im very pleased with mine

JoshKeller said:
is there any difference in stability or draft? 99% of my fishing is done in shallow rivers and electric only lakes.
Going to depend on the boat. Many mod-v's are flat bottom most of the way where a few have a true mod'v all the way to the stern. The ones with just the V at the bow will not draft any different from any other flat bottom.

Hey I second the PM on price if you don't mind.... Now what size motor are you planning on putting on your new boat??? I am looking at wanting to buy something around same size and width but haven't choozen what brand I want to go with yet..... Thanks Cody

hey Josh, check with your dealer but I don't think a 16 ft. boat will fit right on a 14 ft.
trailer. I learned this the hard way. Just a thought. good fishing with the new boat.

Latest posts