Hi! first boat!! I need opinions on some modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javelinpr

Reaction score
https://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/prjavelin/IMAG0104.jpg

https://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/prjavelin/IMAG0105.jpg

https://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/prjavelin/IMAG0106.jpg

I am the happiest fisherman ever!!! I just got my first boat!! fished like two hours yesterday when I got it and was testing it and caught a nice bass.

ok so as you can see I want higher seats so my legs can rest at a 90 degree bend. if I cant fish comfortably I wont stay in the boat for long periods of time. this is very important. My main concern is: it being a 12ft boat its a little tipsy if you move suddenly. How higher can I go with the seats without compromising security?

So ive measured, I need 16 inches to seat perfectly, im seating at 10 inches right now. If I just raise it 6 inches I think It will become highly unstable but it would be a lot cheaper. Has anyone done something like this?

I think the way to go is lower the floor 6 inches so the base of the seat and the floor is at a lower height inside the boat. Ive never done anything to a boat so I know I use the ribs but I dont know how it will end up. This is the main idea so far.

I want to eliminate the top deck right up front or part of it just so I can fit better there. Will that compromise anything?

is there a way to make a mount in the front to mount the trolling motor? Ive seen those in the bass boats that the motor rests on the deck up top but I somehow think those are expensive. can I make a L shaped piece to mount right up front and use that provisionally until I can buy the other one?

the Specs: Its a 1980 sears 12 ft aluminum boat with a V hull. It has a Johnson 10 hp motor on the back and a 24# minnkota for the trolling motor with 5 speeds up and two in reverse. It was used as you can see so its a little rough around the edges. It has a full carpet, a deck behind and a small deck on front. It also has a homemade livewell. came with trailer and pretty much everything.

please IF I can fix them on the cheap right now, it will be awesome. I kinda end up a little short after buying it so I dont have a LOT of money to work on it.

Im 5'10 230 and I fish with a guy thats around 200. How much weight can I fit on the boat?

I had a sears 12 ft up until this spring when I sold it. I had a 4hp motor with 2 batteries, trolling motor, my brother and me (500 lbs), and all our fishing gear. I thought the boat was very tipsy if you ever stood straight up (even when fishing solo) so I can't imagine fishing from an elevated deck like yours. I'd definitely go the route of lowering the deck to get your leg clearance. The small deck up front on mine didn't seem to have much structural value. I think it was more of a step for getting in and out than anything else. If you look through some of the mods that people have done to theirs, I think you'll find some ideas on what to do as far as a trolling mount.

IMAG0104.jpg
IMAG0105.jpg
IMAG0106.jpg

Looks kind of like the second boat I bought for the wife but not sure its a Gamefisher 12 and its way more stable than the 1232 Alumacraft I first bought but I have no decking of floor in hers yet.

Latest posts