Looking at Jon Boats-- need advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APDoc

Reaction score
Hey everyone-- I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post.

I'm looking to buy my first bass boat, and have been looking at aluminum jon boats. We have a lot of smaller lakes where I live that have a 10hp minimum.

What size boat would you folks recommend with that minimum? I've been looking at a 2011 1442 Alumacraft riveted boat with a 2008 Mercury 9.9hp and a 30lb Minn Kota. The seller wants $4000 for it, and it does seem to be in good shape.

Any thoughts? I've thought about getting a larger boat, but I'm not sure the 10hp will push it well. Any advice would be appreciated before I take the plunge-- thanks.

The 9.9 is a great motor on a 14ft flatbottom and will run quite well with a couple of people and gear. Anything bigger boat wise unless it is a lightweight boat like my Tracker 1542 @190 is going to be too much for a 10 horse to plane off. I put an old 9.8 Merc 2 stroke I had on my 1542 when I first bought it and with just me @200 and gear it would run around 20 mph. The Price seems in line to me for a 2011 although you can always try to haggle a little.

I will not get into brands or styles But consider 20" transom(long will have way less water splash over ) ..Short motors are limited in selection..And remember cavatation plate about a Inch + or - from parallel to bottem of boat .If the boat is on carpeted bunk (look under those Bunks for Electrolisis on surface of boat) it hides under there!! cva34

id get a 16ft however wide...with only 10 hp a 14 footer is not gonna give ya much more speed really. and your sacrificing space for an mph or 2 more....JMO....

I agree with the last poster. Bigger is better than faster. Since you are limited to a 9.9, you won't be breaking any speed records in any boat.

A 1448 is a great size and will do fine with a 9.9. A 1648 would be a little bit slower, but the extra space is really really nice.

Stay away from welded boats or boats made from really thick aluminum .... they tend to be heavier. Riveted boats are often made with slightly thinner aluminum than welded and will be lighter.

Whatever you do, make sure your motor is mounted/setup properly and in good running condition. And distribute weight evenly in your boat.

Don't know where you're located but a buddy has a 1436 Alumacraft (2003) with a 2011 9.9 4 Stroke and some nice extras. $2350.00.
Clean little rig.

Location is Tallahassee, FL.

Here's a link to CL ad.

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/3546481671.html

Latest posts