Opinion on basstracker needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumbbilly

Reaction score
Hi, as you can see I am new here. I am looking for advice on purchasing a 1985 basstracker guide special v-17. Boat is in ok shape, needs carpet and tlc. Lower unit is off motor and owner isn't sure why. Its a 35 hp mercury. Says he has all parts. Is it worth the $1100 price tag or not? All my research said that this is the best place on the net to get answers, so here I am. Thanks in advance.

Well it's been 4 hours since you posted with no replies, so let me take a stab at it. First of all, welcome to Tinboats. This is just my opinion so do not take this the wrong way and get upset. I don't know your experience level with boats so I don't know if your evaluation of "OK" on the boat means much. There's no pictures to look at to try to judge the condition. You don't mention whether there is a trailer or not, and again no pictures to go by. The fact that the motor is apart, but the current owner says he doesn't know why it's apart, is strange and something to be suspicious of. And if the owner doesn't know why it's apart, can I trust that he knows whether all the parts are there or not? I think all of this adds up to making it difficult for most people to be able to give a fair evaluation of it's possible value.

Search the forum for mods that have been done on some basstrackers and see what problems they discovered with boats of similar age to the one you're looking at and that will give you some ideas of what to look for on this boat. If the motor is in pieces you obviously can't test it so for all you know it's a pile of junk. I personally wouldn't add much if any value to the boats value for having that motor in the deal. If it's got a trailer, check the tires, see if it's bent up, rusted through, or been jackknifed with a bent tongue etc. If you've got pictures, post those.

P.S. Another factor that will significantly affect the price/value is your location.

JMichael said:
Well it's been 4 hours since you posted with no replies, so let me take a stab at it. First of all, welcome to Tinboats. This is just my opinion so do not take this the wrong way and get upset. I don't know your experience level with boats so I don't know if your evaluation of "OK" on the boat means much. There's no pictures to look at to try to judge the condition. You don't mention whether there is a trailer or not, and again no pictures to go by. The fact that the motor is apart, but the current owner says he doesn't know why it's apart, is strange and something to be suspicious of. And if the owner doesn't know why it's apart, can I trust that he knows whether all the parts are there or not? I think all of this adds up to making it difficult for most people to be able to give a fair evaluation of it's possible value.

Search the forum for mods that have been done on some basstrackers and see what problems they discovered with boats of similar age to the one you're looking at and that will give you some ideas of what to look for on this boat. If the motor is in pieces you obviously can't test it so for all you know it's a pile of junk. I personally wouldn't add much if any value to the boats value for having that motor in the deal. If it's got a trailer, check the tires, see if it's bent up, rusted through, or been jackknifed with a bent tongue etc. If you've got pictures, post those.

i agree also, but you say the boat needs carpet and tlc and if by tlc you mean it needs some cosmetic work thats no biggie in my opinion. with it needing carpet i would venture to say it has been stored outside a lot and would guess the floors/decks are probally gonna need replaced and if so you will most likely find that all the foam is water logged, replacing the floors with new wood will not be that expensive but if you go the aluminum route the cost go's up. you will hear lots of different opinions on foam rather to replace it or not, some saying you should and some saying it doesent matter. to me it depends if your worried about capsizing the boat and it sinking or not, myself i would not worry about capsizing my boat and would opt against replacing it exept that foam can be great for extra floor support along with the factory supports or whatever you add when replacing the floor and that even if its bad but like i said id guess it is. now if thats all that the boat needs is new floor,carpet,foam and some cosmetics and the hull is not beat up and leaking and the trailer if there is one is in good shape id give 1,100 bucks for it with or without the motor. if you end up buying it i would not expect that motor to go back together with the parts he has and run good especially if the lowers in peices and he dont know why.........

Them Old Bass tracker are nice boats if you can get it cheap with a good motor and the steering is not locked up on it. I have an old 85 Bass Tracker V-17 i love it I am about to start taking mine apart for a transom Rebuild and a face lift. Make sure you look at the trailer good. the trialer mine was on was shot and i just looked around a found a load rite for 125 bucks and all is well.

Welcome to the friendliest group of tin addicted boaters in the world!!!

Most of us on here love old boats. We like to tinker with them, fix them up, spend money and time on them .... and maybe, just maybe, put them in the water. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I say that because there isn't a boat out there that can't be cleaned up and fixed. No matter how bad it is, you CAN get it into great condition. It just takes time, money, resources, skill, and a little bit of crazy.

So the question is, are you looking for a year long, in depth project that will cost you more than you paid for the boat? Or are you looking to hit the water with no issues from the get go?

I can guarantee that the boat you are looking at has a lot more hidden issues than the seller will tell you about. Its just the way of things.

If you don't have the time, space, tools, money, or desire for a big project .... then save your money for a while and buy a solid boat that is ready to hit the water.

If you DO want that type of project, then by all means jump in with both feet.

Post some pics and more info on the boat and we can give you more specific feedback.

Looks like a project someone started and didn't finish. I myself wouldn't give that for it. But, I'm a cheapskate. #-o

I would see if you can get it at a scape metal price say about 700 bucks look like it would be an easy fixer upper as long as there is not holes in the bottom

Yep hit him with a best offer all he can do is say no and possibly call back later and say yes.

If the trailer is decent, and not rotting from the inside out, the way older tracker trailers can do. And the boat is in over all decent condition, needing minimal restore or repair. I would say it is a decent price. Use the motor to try to get it cheaper.
My brother in law has a v17. It is a great stable boat. His 40hp merc with 4 of us pushes the boat to 27 mph on tame water.

Latest posts