Livewell pump and seacock? yes/no?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
I've been doing a little research on livewells (too much time on my hands) and I have some questions about them.

In the instructions on some of the pumps it says to use a seacock. Sounds like a very good idea. Only, I see lots of installations without them. I don't even remember seeing a shutoff on a factory installed boat when I looked at the shop.

My problem is going to be that I have very little room down there. And with a seacock probably impossible out the transom unless I want to cut out the flooring (which also covers reinforcements) behind the seat.

Lots of tracker boats out there so I'm betting that someone else has the same setup. I'm just wondering what your solution was and if you have any pics of it?

Thanks

There is a bunch of area back there without enforcement under it, i had to notch the floor to get clearance for my hose. Sea cock no need. Always carry some extra plugs, or big corks that will fill your thru hull hole in case you ever did have a problem.

Bugpac said:
There is a bunch of area back there without enforcement under it, i had to notch the floor to get clearance for my hose. Sea cock no need. Always carry some extra plugs, or big corks that will fill your thru hull hole in case you ever did have a problem.

You have any pics of your setup?

Here is what I'm dealing with.

View attachment 1

The bilge pump fills one side of the hole. Looks like I can cut some more to the sides but towards the front is a reinforcement that the knee brace is attached to.

I put in a Union Joint after the pump and connected it to the pipe feeding the livewell. Thanks for posting, I forgot to disconnect it this year. I use it to drain all the water in the pipe so it doesnt crack when froozen. Plus if I ever have to replace the pump, I dont have to fart around with cutting the pipe, or removing decking to gain access.

Latest posts