Bunks 3 1/2" side or 1 1/2" side?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
I recently installed my bunk boards and feel that the brackets i got put the boat way to high, i prefer my boat rest on the much wider 3 1/2 side of a 2x4. But i saw some brackets that you can turn the boards on edge, and the lower my boat on the trailer.

Does the slimmer 1 1/2" side put to much stress on the boat? or am i just worrying to much? No telling how far i am going to have to back this thing in the water the way it currently sits.

Unless you need the extra height, I'd go with the 3 1/2" side just to give the boat a wider platform to rest on.

True

Well dang after looking at how the bunk brackets would mount with the 2x4 on edge, i totally misunderstood how they would mount on the trailer. So yeah they wouldn't help me out. Shortest bracket i could find was 8" lucky me along time ago bought the 10" ones.

https://www.easternmarine.com/8-galvanized-trailer-bunk-bolster-bracket-86130

So i can change out to the 10" ones and get a whole 2" closer to the trailer with the 8" ones. Is there any other options out there? I feel like if i could get it 4" it would be worth it.

I'll still try it as is, but i know on some of these small lakes i like to fish that the boat ramp is a "dirt ramp" i'd have to back my jeep in the water to even hope to get that thing close to moving off.

Bunk slicks?
I don't have them, but I've heard you can just breathe heavy on the boat and it'll slide off them.

Thats a good ? My thinking is 3 1/2 and if there prone to bowing caused by, too long a span I either add a bracket in Mid area .If thats not possible Run 2 side by side on edge that gets you up to 3 " and lotsa strength .But if height is problem run 3 1/2 with a 2x4 on edge under between both brackets forming a T to stiffen ..I like to stay with that wide 3 or 3 1/2 because it fits pretty close between the V drains/ runners or whatever there called .And can keep boat from slideing 3 or 4" from side to side if its not tied down good .And helps keep boat centered when loadind.. my 2c cva34

Latest posts