Repair on my son's boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWD

Reaction score
My son has a 12', 36" bottom Polar Craft that was given to him and it has a few cracks in the hull and in other areas. So today we started the repairs. This is in the corners at the stern. Cracks and one bolt hole to fix.
We will repair the cracks in the hull next.

Here's the pics..
1. the corner on port quarter. The crack is longer than it looks in the pic
2. the corner on starboard quarter. the crack is hardly visible in the pic
3. repaired port quarter.
4. repaired starboard quarter.

Boat_PC1236_HLW_01_18_2013_2_zpse28b5c18.jpg

Boat_PC1236_HLW_01_18_2013_zps7b139d77.jpg

repaired port quarter
Boat_PC1236_HLW_01_18_2013_3_zpsf44aeed5.jpg

repaired starboard quarter
Boat_PC1236_HLW_01_18_2013_4_zps8040127a.jpg

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Welded? I hope, did you drill a hole at each end of the crack?

Yep, I always drill the end of the cracks and then watch after it cools to make sure it did not run. 8)

I know and understand the purpose of drilling a hole with cracks which is stopping the crack from continuing. But is there a purpose to drilling something that's going to be welded when dealing with aluminum? Seems that you're going to start and stop the weld past the ends of the crack and any hole you might have drilled so what good does the hole do?

JMichael said:
I know and understand the purpose of drilling a hole with cracks which is stopping the crack from continuing. But is there a purpose to drilling something that's going to be welded when dealing with aluminum? Seems that you're going to start and stop the weld past the ends of the crack and any hole you might have drilled so what good does the hole do?

Aluminum will continue to crack after welded, even worse sometimes, if ya don't drill the ends.
Just the nature of the alloy.

Another shot of a small repair on the bow area and yes I did go back and fix that crater at the end of the weld. :wink:

Boat_PC1236_HLW_01_18_2013_5_zps0009d309.jpg

Ya know I was just thinking that my boat has lots of imperfections that could be cured with with a little welding/sanding etc. So should I get the adoption papers ready for your signature? :mrgreen:

JMichael said:
Ya know I was just thinking that my boat has lots of imperfections that could be cured with with a little welding/sanding etc. So should I get the adoption papers ready for your signature? :mrgreen:

[-X I've done got too old to start raising young'uns again :LMFAO: :LMFAO:

Latest posts