Another question....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrouth51

Reaction score
I asked a decking question the other day and got some great ideas. Went to Lowes today fully intending to use aluminum for the supports and then checked prices and put a hold on that idea. To do the boat the way I want, it would take a lot of aluminum and more money then I want to spend. I started looking around and looked at the composite balusters used for outdoor deck rails. They have a no rot guarantee and seem a lot more sturdy than a regular 2x2. On the negative side, they are heavier than the 2x2. The weight issue doesn't bother me as much because I have a 91 30 hp mariner pushing my 1648. Just wanted to know if any of you guys had used this and what you thought of the idea?

By the way, the balusters look like this and they are selling a box of 16 31 inch ones for 35 dollars. That would be more than enough to build the supports for the front and back
https://www.lowes.com/pd_62286-46086-221243_4294815235__?productId=3697576&Ns=p_product_price|0

Thanks guys!
Andrew

OK, lets use a nasty word here and do the math. "Assuming" (I warned you about the nasty word) you're going to get 2 pieces of usable material plus a small piece of waste material out of each one means you'll be paying at or close to $1.00 per foot for the useable material. That's about the same price you can expect to pay for scrap aluminum at a salvage yard or bulk metal sales. Home Depot or Lowes is not the place to go to buy your aluminum. I forget the exact down to the penny price of mine but it was right at $78.00 for 75 feet of 1/8" aluminum angle. You just need to find a better source for your aluminum. Just my opinion but something you might want to rethink.

JMichael is correct. A metal supplier/recycler is the place to go. No matter what size, shape, or length I buy the price is $2.50 a pound for aluminum. Many times the aluminum is new material returned as excess from a new purchase.

Latest posts