pressure treated or not?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdavis

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new but I have spent quite a bit of time scanning the site for ideas on my first aluminum boat I bought recently. The modifications have already begun and I have been documenting the process so that I can share on here once it's complete.

I have read a lot of comments about not using pressure treated plywood and wondered why. Some hint that it will eat holes in your aluminum boat. However I saw this ad recently and they use the words 'pressure treated', 'treated' and 'marine grade' plywood interchangeably for use on aluminum boats commercially produced. thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xh8plCevyo&list=WL19E149A4BE4023AA

There are different chemicals/formulas used in the manufacturing process of pressure treated wood. Some like CCA and others are known to have adverse effects on aluminum when the two are in contact with each other. Rather than try to figure out which formula was used and if it is OK to use with aluminum, it's easier to just avoid treated lumber all together. If you want to research the subject just google "Chromated Copper Arsenate aluminum corrosion" and start reading.

I used pressure treated for my trailer bunks before finding out about the chemicals. That being said, my wood is about 7 or 8 years old and the boat is painted. It has been sitting on those bunks for over a year and no signs of pitting or anything yet.

X-2 on jmichael I been there.I do not know for sure which treated wood is problem and they were carpeted..But I have bad 2 diff boats with problem.$300 repairs once and $748 once ..I say "DO NOT"...Recently mentioned it to a guy at RV park we were staying he had a 05 18 G3 sitting on carpet ed bunks..The next day his boat was missing He came over to or RV and thanked me for the Heads Up....He said he jacked up boat enough to see under Bunks "OUCH" there it was ..took to have repaired $400 bucks...Maybe its a combo of (treated wood/carpet /saltwater) cause the boats I talk about are salt water boats..cva34

Latest posts