Stainless steel screws in aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey

Reaction score
When stainless steel screws are used in aluminum in a saltwater environment, it will cause corrosion to the aluminum. I bring this up because I have seen several references to people using stainless steel fasteners. I realize that aluminum fasteners are not as strong, but wouldn't that still be preferable?

I used SS rivets for a floor kit in my Grizzly 1860 and have have no issues yet but I do not use my boat in salt water a whole lot. Aluminum rivets weren't strong enough and I kept on popping them so I needed to use SS. I have had the boat for six years. I would imagine if you left the boat in the salt water all the time you may get some corrosion over time. SS rivets are way harder to do the the lighter aluminum ones if you are doing these by hand.

Just use nylon washers where stainless would contact the aluminum and a dab of 5200 or a sealer on the threads to help "insulate" contact between the two metals.

Used with a product called Corrosion-X, you'll be ok. HIGHLY recommend using it. All my tinnies have been nothing but salt, zero issues.

Latest posts