So I Took Out All The Bench Seats...Help...Please...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turpin123

Reaction score
took out the bench seats out in a 13 foot aluminium V hull...i know the seats are part of the boats strength and the foam under them is my flotation if i get swamped...i HAVE taken it out and fished out of it for a day no bench seats just a lawn chair...only using a 7.5 hp on it...what does everyone think...am I just lucky the thing didnt cave in on me ?...should i put the seats back in ?...and if so can i skip the rivets and just use something like 5200 to glue em back in place...any opinions would be appreciated...

You'll get lots of opinions on this.

Obviously the benches add stability and structural integrity to the boat. Taking them out DOES weaken the boat.

However, lots of guys take them out and have no issues. There has never been a post on this board about a boat folding or breaking in half. Importantly though, almost all those guys built in floors and decks, which add back in a LOT of support to the boat.

My advice, since you already have the benches out, is to build a flat floor that ties into most of the ribs and maybe a casting deck if you want. You should be just fine if you do that.

But yes on rivets (or welding, or bolts...some other firm attachment) and no on 5200 as a replacement for same.

so if i just cut out a solid piece of plywood in the shape of the boat..and lay it in the bottom...it will increase the integrity of the boat sufficiently do yall think ?...i dont want to put the seats back in i like one big open deck...

turpin123 said:
so if i just cut out a solid piece of plywood in the shape of the boat..and lay it in the bottom...it will increase the integrity of the boat sufficiently do yall think ?...i dont want to put the seats back in i like one big open deck...

Sort of. If the bottom of the boat is curved, you'll want to build some stringers that are tied into the ribs and will give the plywood a solid and flat surface to sit on.

If its a flat bottom, you might be able to lay the wood directly on the ribs, but stringers might still be a good idea.

Don't forget that the plywood should be properly treated and sealed so it doesn't get soggy and rot.

Latest posts