how to strip paint off a jon boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemical

Reaction score
hi, i just bought a used 11" jon boat, dont know what kind it is, if someone can recognize it , please let me know, ok heres the question, i realized the paint on the bottom ,looks like from the previous owner , it looks like a brush or roll green paint, i would like to know how to strip this off without hurting or damaging the boat, i would like to primer it and repaint it, to a tan or red color, please any suggestions, (I have access to a sprayer/compressor will this work for primering & Painting?) (or should i just buy a bunch of walmart spray cans..jajaja)i also plan to mod it to put a deck on it, thanks newby here..
boat1.jpg

backboat1.jpg

future plans
kennboatMOD.jpg

If you want to get it to bare metal before you prime it I would use Kleen-Strip Aircraft Remover. This stuff made my paint fall off in sheets. You can get it at Auto Zone, Napa, etc...and no Esquired, I don't think there is an aircraft stuck to his boat. :D

thanks, i will look into that, for the paint stripping,,today i took the boat out of the garage, to give it a good detail, and start working on the mods, (taking measurements). i took it to local self carwash . gave it a good wash inside and out,, good to know theres no leak,, as i was pressure washing it, some of the green paint started to come off,, lol that good for me, makes my job alot easier,,but i pretty much use tire cleaner (degreaser) so now that is dry i can start taking measurements, ( start primering the inside where the boat will be expose)

now back to stripping,, is that a chemical that u can buy at napa, discount autoparts, or pepboys, or can i also sand it off??

thanks

Jim said:
Welcome Kemical,
Thanks for joining!

this is an awesome site, i was so glad to know that there is so much that you can do these kinda of boats.!! im glad i bought my first boat for a project boat!

Welcome aboard! I painted an old jon boat several years ago and I sanded off the old paint. I would go with the aircraft stuff it was a pain to sand the entire boat!

alumacraftjoe said:
Welcome aboard! I painted an old jon boat several years ago and I sanded off the old paint. I would go with the aircraft stuff it was a pain to sand the entire boat!

thanks i try finding that aircraft at autozone and i couldnt find it,, so i went to lowes i found a heavy duty paint removal in the paint stripping aisle there were sooo many stripping chemical crap!!! but i think i will do it after i go out on da lake i wanna fish!! lol
but thanks guys for helping me out!!!

kemical, i recently repainted my Deep V aluminum Mirrocraft and had to prep the entire thing. I didn't take the entire boat to bare metal, but just knocked off all of the flaking paint and lightly sanded the rest to rough it up. I then used an industrial primer that is used for farm equipment. I bought it at Fleet Farm. After two coats of primer, I used two coats of red paint from the same place. I was actually able to roll it on with pretty good results. If you have access to a spray gun, you could probably thin this paint with some hardener and spray it on.

I posted some marginal pictures of my paint in this forum. Look for Deep V Mirrocraft.

Hey guys I don't mean to jump into your thread, sorry in advance I was wondering if its ok to just strip the paint off my boat and run it the natural aluminum colour? is there any problems with this or anything?

None at all, but you may find it difficult to get all the paint off so it looks right.

oh ok thanks alot, wasn't sure if for some reason it would make the metal more suseptable to rusting, but i guess aluminum doesn't really rust on these boats. thanks again.

Aluminum will oxidize a bit after a while, but not really rust like you are thinking, more like dull a bit. A very mild acid wash(wheel cleaner, vinegar) will straighten it right up.

Welcome aboard kem. that floor plan looks awsum, make sure you get some pics. posted as you complete each step.

Latest posts