Make raised platform even with the top of the hull?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey

Reaction score
When making a raised casting deck, is it better to make the casting deck a few inches below the top of the hull so there is a lip to keep things from rolling off, or is it better to make the casting deck flush with the top of the hull so that water will drain off of the boat?

I made both of my casting decks with an exposed lip. IMO it keeps stuff in the boat, and a visual reference for the edge, I don't want to walk the plank on my own boat. :lol:

I think that most of the decks that I have seen are below the top of the hull, but it wouldn't be difficult to set up the aluminum angle framing to make it flush. I don't know if that would look odd or not.

With a flush deck, the only way water is going to roll out is if your bow is tilted down or your boat is listing. That's probably not the way your boat is going to sit in or out of the water most of the time, so I don't see any advantage to making it flush.

I say keep at least a small lip, because you never know when it will save you or your stuff from going for a swim.

Ictalurus said:
How wide is your boat?
I have a 1982 Polarkraft 1651. The beam is 6' 11".

It is probably a bad idea. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Just remember the higher you make your casting deck, you run the risk of making the boat more unstable.

Made the mistake of building a deck level with the top of rail. Was a costly mistake, I kicked a loomis rod overboard and wasnt able to save it. :oops: #-o So for me always a lip of a couple inches at least. jmho If you do it be careful.

johnnybassboat said:
Made the mistake of building a deck level with the top of rail. Was a costly mistake, I kicked a loomis rod overboard and wasnt able to save it. :oops: #-o So for me always a lip of a couple inches at least. jmho If you do it be careful.
X-2 on that had a Scooter with flat deck and 2or 3 inch .Lip Everyting had to be tied down when your running ,30mph and pounding Stuff would just migrate to rear and sometimes right over even with that lip....cva34

Highly recommend leaving it beneath the gunwale.

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg