Paint Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt25

Reaction score
Has anyone painted their boat using a roller? Just wondering what kind of results you got.

Thanks in Advance
JT

It has definitely been done and the pics I've seen look very good.

I've seen it done many times on vehicles too. Most of the guys used a relatively small foam roller and just worked slowly and carefully.

As with all painting projects, good prep work on the surface is the key to a nice finish.

Personally though, I think a spray gun is a better option .... faster, smoother, and easier.

Well I thought spraying was going to be on option. But I am at the mercy of someone else and I am starting to get impatient.... :?

Using the roll and tip method is extremely effective. Youtube roll and tip painting and you'll see how its done. I did my boats exterior that way, and it looks very smooth and even.

I rolled on the enamel paint that I used on my last boat. The enamel I use is too thick to spray on. I tried to thin it down and spray it, and that worked O.K. but I wasn't impressed with the finished result. This paint rolls on very smooth though, and is easy to work with.

I also painted an old truck I had with thinned New Holland blue tractor and implement paint. It did not turn out so good. :LOL2: It can be done though. There are several write ups and tutorial videos out on the web to help you along and show you a few little tips and tricks.

Latest posts