adding styrofoam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatsboater72

Reaction score
Hey everyone, has anybody ever added styrofoam sheets to there aluminum floor? Home Depot has these packs of 4 or 5 and I was wondering would adding a crapload of styrofoam help keep it higher in the water?

It won't keep it higher in the water. What it will do is if you capsize it will keep the boat afloat theoretically even if upsidedown.

bAcKpAiN said:
It won't keep it higher in the water. What it will do is if you capsize it will keep the boat afloat theoretically even if upsidedown.

will it keep it from sinking as low as it does with the 25hp motor? Maybe just add styro to the back area?

You need to understand why a thing floats. Its because the space that object takes up weighs less than the water that would be in its place. Thats it. If you have an empty shell with nothing in it, a hull, you cannot make it float higher by adding anything short of helium filled bladders which are lighter than air.

The only reason people add foam is to prevent a boat from sinking to the bottom of the lake should it become compeltly filled with water. Foam is like a lifevest for a boat, nothing more.

WTL said:
You need to understand why a thing floats. Its because the space that object takes up weighs less than the water that would be in its place. Thats it. If you have an empty shell with nothing in it, a hull, you cannot make it float higher by adding anything short of helium filled bladders which are lighter than air.

The only reason people add foam is to prevent a boat from sinking to the bottom of the lake should it become compeltly filled with water. Foam is like a lifevest for a boat, nothing more.

Perfect answer =D>

I added foam under my decks. I used 1 sheet of 3/4", 1 sheet of 1/2" and I cut up the foam that originally was in the bench seat area that I cut out.

WTL said:

This is true.Adding foam will add weight causing the boat to float lower in the water.This is depending on how much foam is added to the hull and where.If the rear of the boat is to low you need to transfer some weight to the front.Batteries work best under the center seat or in the very front.

:arrow: this is what(foam from home depot) i added in between ribs and it made a world of difference as far as noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. =D> =D>

Attachments

• picture1 600.jpg
    picture1 600.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 831
Right you are on the noise reduction, but, keep in mind, that is where all the dirt and muddy water would end up. Were it me, I would space the foam half way up the rib height, where it is tight against the deck, but spaced from the hull. This would deaden sound, and allow a passage for water/muck.

bassboy1 said:
Right you are on the noise reduction, but, keep in mind, that is where all the dirt and muddy water would end up. Were it me, I would space the foam half way up the rib height, where it is tight against the deck, but spaced from the hull. This would deaden sound, and allow a passage for water/muck.

IMO the water and muck can still pass through the ribs that run from front to back, which are lower than the styrofoam. My dad suggested it to me and low and behold many of you have done the same thing.

I just wanted to throw this link in here for reference on foaming a hull.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4450&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

Latest posts