FUTURE PLANS...ANY SUGGESTIONS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemical

Reaction score
1976 Sears flat bottom jon boat,(1232)
1232 Specifications:
Boat Length: 11' 11"
Beam: 45"
Transom Height: 15"
Side Depth: 14"
Hull Gauge: .054
Max HP: 5
Approx. Dry Hull Weight: 86 lbs
Max. Weight Cap: 315 lbs
# Persons: 2
original(before):
boat1.jpg

after(future):
kennboatMOD2.jpg

please any good suggestions!!

thanks

He's going to find out very quickly that a 10 footer won't handle having raised decks like that.

Ever tried fishing from a canoe while standing up? You're going to have about the same situation there. Very tippy. A buddy and I have been pond fishing from a 10 footer for over 20 years. When you get weight above the gunnels, you are asking to go for a swim.

Having a floor deep enough to provide tackle storage is going to put your center of gravity extremely high as well.

Sometimes its easy to get something worked out in your mind, then realize once you start to actually saw and drill and build the thing that it isn't as feasable or practical as you thought, or you come up with better ideas in the process. I am impressed with the drawing, but 10' of boat is awfully small. Good luck anyways though.

Quackrstackr said:
He's going to find out very quickly that a 10 footer won't handle having raised decks like that.

Ever tried fishing from a canoe while standing up? You're going to have about the same situation there. Very tippy. A buddy and I have been pond fishing from a 10 footer for over 20 years. When you get weight above the gunnels, you are asking to go for a swim.

Having a floor deep enough to provide tackle storage is going to put your center of gravity extremely high as well.

what kind of boat suggest i should get that i can put a deck on it,, this boat i dnt know the weight cap,,but i see alot of 10-11' boats thathave these mods,, please let me know, i would love to have a jon boat with a deck. should i get a longer boat?

Jim said:
Looks good! Do you have a weight capacity of the boat? Adding all that stuff might make the 10 footer a little unsafe with 2 guys and full gear.

no,, i dont know,, now im worried,,when i bought this from the guy he told me it was a ll" boat,, i will measure it today when i get back home form work,,

can somebody please help me find the weight CAP,, thanks!

kemical said:
Jim said:
Looks good! Do you have a weight capacity of the boat? Adding all that stuff might make the 10 footer a little unsafe with 2 guys and full gear.

no,, i dont know,, now im worried,,when i bought this from the guy he told me it was a ll" boat,, i will measure it today when i get back home form work,,

You will never know the exact weight capacity if it does not have a stamp on it. The best you can do is find one exactly the same size and shape and aluminum thickness and take a close guess. I don't recommend it. Its not the length so much as the width. The wider the boat the better (stability). I suggest you use this one as is, While looking for a 1442 or 1448 and then sell yours to help pay for that. Better safe than sorry.

Jim said:
kemical said:
Jim said:

You will never know the exact weight capacity if it does not have a stamp on it. The best you can do is find one exactly the same size and shape and aluminum thickness and take a close guess. I don't recommend it. Its not the length so much as the width. The wider the boat the better (stability). I suggest you use this one as is, While looking for a 1442 or 1448 and then sell yours to help pay for that. Better safe than sorry.

i will measure the width today when i get back home,, sorry to ask for this, but im a newby to this,, what is a 1442 or 1448??

thanks again guys!!

p.s. ok i found out the numbers mean,,lol this is all new to me,, and its exciting to find out new things for me ,,lol

14 feet in length X 42 or 48 inches across the bottom.

I know those are extremely stable, I have one that I've run for years on anything from KY Lake to the Mississipi river.

ok i found a 11" foot boat hopefully this is the exact same width,, i will find out later today!
https://www.g3boats.com/JonBoats/#overhead
1232 Specifications:
Boat Length: 11' 11"
Max HP: 5
Approx. Dry Hull Weight: 86 lbs
Max. Weight Cap: 315 lbs
Complete Specifications

i think im understanding the number thing,, 1232 (12) meaning close to 12" (32) meaning 32" wide...
can someone please confirm that,,
thanks

That's right.

That boat that you found wouldn't be considered an 11 footer. It's a 12 as described in the model number.

I'm guessing...This is probably more along the lines of what you've got.....

1032 Specifications:
Boat Length: 9' 11"
Max HP: 3
Approx. Dry Hull Weight: 76 lbs
Max. Weight Cap: 275 lbs

ok guys found out today by my measurements,, 11' 11" length,, and the floor is 32" width.. sooo that would make it a
1232,, sweet,,, =P~ :D

Jim said:
Have you taken it out on the water yet?

i will sunday at 5am.. cant wait , im getting all excited,, and im redesigning my future plans..soo i found out my weight cap is 315lbs,, soooo, im gonna use aluminum structure for the deck for less weight,, like this guy in germany https://www.blog.tarakito.net/?p=72

well somethign similar, not soo much,, somethign less.. less is more,..lol
but cant wait to get it on water,,, taking my son for the 1st time fishing,, gonna be a wonderful father and son experience :lol: ...

im prob gonna primer & paint the inside this sat ,EARLY sat,,lol to a nice khaki tan!!

i will take pics (before & after) step by step

Any easy test for your deck plans.

While you have it on the water, stand up on one of your benches and see how tippy it is. That's where your center of gravity will be after decking.

kemical said:
Jim said:
Have you taken it out on the water yet?

i will sunday at 5am.. cant wait , im getting all excited,, and im redesigning my future plans..soo i found out my weight cap is 315lbs,, soooo, im gonna use aluminum structure for the deck for less weight,, like this guy in germany https://www.blog.tarakito.net/?p=72

well somethign similar, not soo much,, somethign less.. less is more,..lol
but cant wait to get it on water,,, taking my son for the 1st time fishing,, gonna be a wonderful father and son experience :lol: ...

im prob gonna primer & paint the inside this sat ,EARLY sat,,lol to a nice khaki tan!!

i will take pics (before & after) step by step

That guy is a member here, He disappeared off the face of the earth. LOL!

The reason I asked you if you have taken it out before, Is that I want to see what your opinion of decking it is after you have it out on the water the way it is.

Have fun and be safe on Sunday, and don't forget the camera!

Quackrstackr said:

While you have it on the water, stand up on one of your benches and see how tippy it is. That's where your center of gravity will be after decking.

so what do i do now? i should stand in the middle of the benches and see how tipsy it is??? ok,, and what do i do after,, what will that tell me,, ,,,im not being a smart *** on here,, im serious,, im curious, cuz i know there is a logical explanation for that..i want to know everything about these boats,, please tell me

thanks

kemical said:
Quackrstackr said:

so what do i do now? i should stand in the middle of the benches and see how tipsy it is??? ok,, and what do i do after,, what will that tell me,, ,,,im not being a smart *** on here,, im serious,, im curious, cuz i know there is a logical explanation for that..i want to know everything about these boats,, please tell me

thanks

Take a look at this thread: This is member pbw with a 1438 https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=964

Take a look at his deck walk videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYnXMhBb3xI

and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSNjMavhjOI

And his is a 38 width bottom.

Take a look at this thread: This is member pbw with a 1438 https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=964

Take a look at his deck walk videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYnXMhBb3xI

and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSNjMavhjOI

And his is a 38 width bottom.

OOOHHHH I SEEEE!! now i know what he is talking about,, bounce and check where is the center point were it doesnt kinda tip on da side like in that video , it looks like he was testing it, were it tips more and were it doesnt tip,,,

thanks!!! great info

Latest posts