Sarasota Report

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit

Reaction score
Been out a couple of times:
Turtle Beach to Siesta Key
Good ramp at Turtle Beach. Put in and headed towards the Bay. Narrow channel posted slow speed because of the manatees. Don't want to hit a Sea Cow. They're huge. Gators blow small bubbles compared to a manatee which is one way you know they're under you. About a big as a VW Bug and they throw a good sized wake.
So we putted down till we got to Siesta where the speed limit goes up to 25 in the channel. Got to open it up for a short. Out of channel you have to go slow and it's shallow. Went around an island that smelled like bird poo and into the residential canals of Siesta. Putted around Palm Island and put ashore to grab some sandwiches at Siesta Market which is about 4 blocks to walk. Had to go back the way we came as a low bridge kind of blocked the way.
Back out in the channel I was thinking of going further towards Sarasota but the wind was up and home was into it so I started back to Turtle. When I came out there weren't too many boats around but someone opened the flood gates and I was surrounded by rental boats everywhere. I got on plane and banged to the speed zone to cut back to 6-7 mph which I figured was "slow." The two cylinder likes that speed. Freaking rental boaters. Up on plane in a narrow "slow speed" channel. I'm dodging wakes and taking spray.
To heck with this, I got out of the channel kept my eyes on the depth. They weren't going to follow me there.
Got back to Turtle and went past it through Midnight Pass. Shallow water with just a strand beach between you and the Gulf. This was the best part of the trip. Park the boat and you've got this rather isolated beach. Very cool. Got a big chunk of beach all to ourselves.
Pretty good trip. Saw some nice boats in Siesta canals and found a really cool beach.
I'll get back with more on Sarasota. Myakka and Manatee rivers.

Manatee River
Put in at Ft Hamar Park. Went a couple miles upstream and the water got too shallow to continue, tide was falling so had to return. Went a few miles downstream and it opens up into a bay. Not much wildlife. Some scullers in their shells practicing. They have a boathouse next to the ramp.

Myakka River
The Myakka was real nice. Put in at the Myakka Park. They have a restaurant (Snook Haven) that's reopened and the ramp is right there. Small narrow ramp and tight to get into. I made it with the 16' but a 20' might take some doing. Small turning circle.
When I got there the restaurant was packed. Backed into the river with grace and went upstream. Managed to go a maybe 5 miles before I ran out of water. Left on a falling tide so I probably could have gone further if I had left on the rising tide.
Saw a bunch of gators and a few birds. Biggest gator was around 9 feet. I've posted a photo of one that was around 8'.
Came back past the ramp and went downstream for a bit. Came back to the restaurant and everyone was gone.
All of the water here is slow speed. It's a very nice, typical Florida river with enough good water for a day of touring in your jon boat. Lots of places where you can pull ashore. The Myakka is known for it's gators:
gatorweb.jpg
It gets the Rabbit Seal of Approval.

Latest posts