First boat.....good deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshfcb

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first boat. The intended uses are fishing small water in the summer time and to cross a slough in the winter time to get to my duck blind.

I have found a 1974 Quachita (sp?) 14' with trailer and and older trolling motor. I have not viewed the boat just saw pictures on a local classified.

What would you consider a fair price for this boat?boat 2.jpg

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 405
erictetterton said:
$300 if its all in good shape
I agree and looking from the pictures it appears the transom has been redone at some point (metal across the top has been replaced to replace the wood). If it is still good and solid that gets you ahead in the game.

Thanks guys. I imagine there is some wiggle room, however, he is asking $600. Think I will keep looking.

joshfcb said:
Thanks guys. I imagine there is some wiggle room, however, he is asking $600. Think I will keep looking.
Yeah that is too much for that old a boat especially with that trailer. Do yourself a huge favor and try to find a boat and trailer that has the larger diameter wheels and tires. You will thank yourself later on down the road.

That's a nice little boat. Fairly wide with flat carpeted floors and two swivel seats. Trailer looks solid and functional.

Price is VERY dependent on location, but around here $600 isn't a bad price at all. $500 would be good and $400 would be great. $300 would be an absolute steal!

Don't forget other factors like:

1. How far away is the boat? It might cost $50 in gas just to go get it.
2. Does it have the proper paperwork for both the trailer and boat. Title and registration issues can cost hundreds of dollars to straighten out, at least here in PA they can.
3. How available are boats like this in your area? Will you even be able to find a better deal?

If all those things are going in this boat's favor .... $600 would be a good price.

Just signed up this morning to start participating in the community and it's funny that this is my first post because I just bought pretty much the same boat.

1974 Ouachita 1436 with trailer, 40lb trolly and marine battery for $500. I considered it a great deal for the area here. The boat is in solid shape except for the wood on the transom (metal is good and hasn't been redone like yours).

Personally I'm pretty happy with getting an older boat (especially a Ouachita) as it feels kind of like a collectible.

Latest posts