New guy checking in with my "wee little" boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyscout

Reaction score
Just found this site and it's exactly what I was looking for. I have recently purchased a 12 foot sears semi V, circa 1969. It came with a '59 johnson Sea Horse 5.5, and old Minn Kota troller, and a '70's something trailer that I believe is also a sears. All was in good condition, being kept indoors and rarely used for the last 15-20 years or more.

I needed something cheap(!) and small just to go fishing w/ my small kids or just alone. And there are many smaller lakes around that do not have trailerable access so something lighter to drag a bit through the woods/weeds (but not a canoe) was needed.

I haven't finished looking through this site but I have already gotten ideas. A bit of decking style for a floor would be nice, and a bit of decking up front for hopping in and storage of anchors, etc; is in order. I'll need to keep a way to have a chair/seat in the middle for rowing (yes, people STILL row!), and this boat has 2 sets of oarlocks. Hmmm, "kids, wanna help daddy row?".

I will be converting the 2 line fuel system of the Johnson to a single line and getting rid of the pressurized tank that came with it, picking up a plastic smaller maybe 3 gallon tank.

One question, and it may sound silly but why the electric bilge pumps most are doing? I might have to do that.

My first mod was to put in a drain plug. Not pretty, drilled several small holes/ hit it with the saber saw. Attached the plastic plug/receptacle. Bolted it on and sealed with tube caulking. It doesn't leak, but it is UGLY. I may have to do that over!

Thanks for the pics, I will be posting my own. And thanks ahead of time for the generous ideas and opinions that I am sure I will find here.

The 1st thing that jumps out to me is the drain plug you installed. Please redo that with a secure thru hull drain that you can get at any marine store. You DO NOT want to fool around when you have small kid's out on the water. If the boat leaks, repair and use a bilge pump. The speed you will achieve with that motor/oars is not sufficient to drain the water out. Keep in mind that everything you add to the boat as far as floor, deck, extra chair are adding WEIGHT and will be difficult to transport to the water. Upload some pictures so we can have a look at what you have to work with. Everyone on this sight is willing to help especially when it comes to the Safety of you and your family.

Thanks for your concern on the drain plug. It is a marine drain plug w/ a chain. It's for real, only the plug itself is plastic .....but the method of drilling the hole was "unorthodox". I've tested it several times on the water and it doesn't leak. I know what you mean when there are children involved and I really do appreciate anyone bringing up safety concerns. We all have the possibility of overlooking some small thing that might get us into trouble. Thanks again. pictures will come.....when I can get the snow off of the tarp!

Well, here is a picture. Had to get a bunch of snow off it first, tho there is more coming! The registration papers say it's 11' 6" and the tag inside says 2 people @ 150#, total weight cap 488# and max 9 hp engine. I cover the 300# of people myself, but still enough left for one of my kids to go out with me. Also, I just picked up a '53 evinrude 3 hp, weighs about 30#'s. The Johnson 5.5 was about 50# plus the tank. Lost some weight there.
This boat is light. The old Johnson on the back seemed heavy and big, but this smaller one should "fit" better. I am not needing to do anything but putt along to my fishing holes. Many of the lakes I fish are "no gas motors" anyhow, so I would be using the small Minn Kota (17 lb) or just rowing. This boat is made for rowing, so easy. And the PO put Additional oar locks on so you can chose to turn around and row forward.

After looking around at the many ideas and projects here, I think that I am shooting for a simple floor (maybe removeable)to make moving around easier(flat surface). I may want to remove part of the middle seat, there are three, to make it easier to get to the front ( unhook fish, bait hooks) but I still need some sort of seat there to be able to row. Once this snow starts to go, I'll be able to work on this more. Until then, it's just ideas and cardboard! This is just a fishing boat for small lakes and rivers, I'm just trying to make it more comfortable/useful. Thanks already for the many ideas!

Attachments

• my boat 1.jpg
    my boat 1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 575
I believe that may be the same boat I'm working on now. I also put in a drain plug but used a stainless steel one. I can't remember were I ordered it from, but it was about 20 bucks. Went to lowes and bought a 1 1/8 hole saw bit I think it was almost as much as the plug, but What the hay. I have only gotten as far as cleaning and priming. Had a lot of plans when I first started back in December, but now I think it will basically be floor, seats and hopefully a bait well (or two small ones).

OK, so I saw this picture the other day and it gave me an idea for a mod to my brothers boat. As it turns out it might be the same sort of thing that would suit your needs to be able to move front to back but still have a seat for rowing from. Anyways, I stole a picture from Ringo Steele and used it to do my planning with. Hopefully, he won't sue me for copyright or whatever. But thanks for the pic Ringo. :mrgreen:

So you take your seat that you're wanting to remove and modify it to look like Ringo did on his boat.

Walkthrough.jpg

Then You take the piece of the bench top that you removed or what ever material you want and you make a replacement bench top. Now attach it at one end with a hinge so that it overlaps and rest on the stationary portion on the other end. Then you can just flip it up and out to the railing to allow you to walk from front to back or lower it back in place to sit on and row. Something like this.

Walkthrough1.jpg

Anyways, it was something I'm considering doing and thought it might give you an idea for yours.

Thanks JMichael! (and Ringo Steele!) I hadn't thought about that approach. It's nice to have different sets of eyes and ideas. And this mod appears relatively easy, I could just add some flotation foam under the floor to compensate what was lost in opening up the seat. Yeah, that's a good one.

Latest posts