Is this even possible? (remote throttle from a tiller setup)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateurhour

Reaction score
So this is purely an "is this possible" kind of scenario. I've got a motor that was designed for tiller steer and a remote kit was never produced for it. It's the 2003-2008 Briggs and Stratton 5hp outboard.

I know that theoretically it could be set up with remote steer using the SA27256P Teleflex adapter/tube and transom mounting kit and a separate steering kit but my question is what would it take to hook up remote throttle/shift controls since they don't technically exist for this model engine?

I'm just curious because I've spent the last three days getting manuals, diagrams, parts lists, etc for this engine and while it is definitely a "love it or hate it" kind of motor it was still pretty widely sold and no one from what I can see has ever attempted to set it up with remote steer. (I'm guessing due to the fact it's only a 5hp engine)

I tested the one that came with my recent boat/trailer purchase and it works well and I'm fine with a tiller setup, but basically I'm just curious if it would even be possible (safely) to set up remote throttle/shift for this engine.

thoughts? (other than "you're crazy"... :) )

I figured at least one of you home built experts would have some ideas.