Remote Controls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skully

Reaction score
I finally did it. I found a console and teleflex steering also got a control box with shift cables and gas cables. Put it on my 14 ft tracker guide v. I placed the console on the front seat dolled it up real nice. This all went on an 18 hp 1961 johnson sea horse real nice it has electric start. I added a kill switch all on the console. I paid an unbelievable price of 250.00 for the console the cables etc. I now have taken all the weight except for the battery and 6 gallon gas can off the rear of the boat. Put it in a barrell and tested the cables all is good. With a little luck this Sunday she goes for a test run. I feel with the weight off the transom end and me more in the middle of the boat I should pick a up a few more mph getting 21 mph now WHAT SAY YOU!

Were the throttle/shift controls aftermarket or made specifically for that motor? Also how did they hook up to the tiller throttle and shift controls?

=D>

Are you getting full left/right travel on that motor with the newer teleflex? Let us know how it handles out on the water.

The pics are on the gallery for the non believers. I am getting full motion left and right there is a bracket that mounts to the transom that swivels to help out with the arms motion it all came together pretty easy. I saw a couple of 1961 18 hp on two boats on youtube and it gave me the idea on how to set up the arm on the tille handle. She slides right into gear no problems and idles real nice sunday is the trial run...As far as a kill switch 2 wires came off the flywheel already i just bough an open switch and moved it to the console as well as the start button. Basically I'm done just need some warm weather and feeesh.

Skully said:
The pics are on the gallery for the non believers. I am getting full motion left and right there is a bracket that mounts to the transom that swivels to help out with the arms motion it all came together pretty easy. I saw a couple of 1961 18 hp on two boats on youtube and it gave me the idea on how to set up the arm on the tille handle. She slides right into gear no problems and idles real nice sunday is the trial run...As far as a kill switch 2 wires came off the flywheel already i just bough an open switch and moved it to the console as well as the start button. Basically I'm done just need some warm weather and feeesh.

That sounds sweet. Can you take a close up of the connection to the outboard? I need pics so I can steal your idea. :mrgreen:

I will take a few shots and put them on the gallery Tusker if it helps ya no problem steal away brother.

ok tusker the photos of the steering to motor set up are on the gallery i havent figuered out how to add them to my posts

Thanks for the pics. That gives me a good idea as to what I will need.

Attachments

• normal_motor_set_up_1.jpg
    normal_motor_set_up_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 381
  • normal_motor_set_up_2.jpg
    normal_motor_set_up_2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 381
  • normal_motor_set_up_3.jpg
    normal_motor_set_up_3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 381
Ok took her out today ran flawlessly idles real nice. What I did notice since I moved the seats up to the middle of the boat she leaned to the side I was sitting on. I have my battery on the same side as well. For sure to much wieght on one side. I need to move the battery off the back of the boat more centered and further foward. She steers real good full motion. I won't have this problem when I fish with someone it will equal the weight. But like everything else you cant't plan around someone going fishin. So I will address the problem for me alone. Besides I don't know about a lot of people and how they feel about fishin buddys me personally I kinda like fishing alone. I have found over the years and many a boat big and small that fishing buddys tend to be a little demanding and more like paying customers. The worst way to spend a day fishing is having someone pissin and moanin about where to go and how long to stay etc etc. As for me I get along just fine by myself. Not saying I won't entertain fishing with someone but prefer SOLO. Just my rant is all.......

Skully, when I was testing my boat to see about lean while sitting at the middle bench. I found that the best place for the battery to help with balance was to place it left of me up against the middle bench and the boat side. I also have the trolling motor and tank on that side of the boat as well.

Nice looking boat and set up btw.

Thanks Tusker that is exactly what I did this evening. I will see how it pans out on my next day off from work and a sunny day

Latest posts