Need help buying jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need help from experienced anglers/ boaters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 455
Thinking about buying this 16ft jon. Guys says it 45 across the floor and 60 from gun whales. I want a to start a deck project but don't know if the sides have enough flare or if it will be to tippy. Need some advice from guys with experience. I'm in colorado so ill be bass fishing small lakes and reservoirs.

There is a topic on what to and what not to deck. Most people say 36" and wider are fine to deck. I would definitely deck yours since it is 45" across the bottom. I have a 10ft that is 31" across the bottom and I decked mine from the front bench to the middle bench. That boat should be pretty safe to deck.

Holy Giant Stringers Batman! If those stringers are even half as stout as they look that boat should be a tank.

I say buy as wide as you can get by with . I say before buying put it in the water and see if it's tippy . fishing lakes and bays like I do if 2 people can't walk around freely without it being tippy I'd said go wider.

Focobassslayer said:
Thinking about buying this 16ft jon. Guys says it 45 across the floor and 60 from gun whales. I want a to start a deck project but don't know if the sides have enough flare or if it will be to tippy. Need some advice from guys with experience. I'm in colorado so ill be bass fishing small lakes and reservoirs.

I agree, that boat is stout! I can't comment on your decking plans.
But that rig would be awesome with a open flat floor. JMO.
Looking pic#2, that boat's width (at rear seat) is about twice the length of a 6 gal tank.

I can stand and fish in mine all day long...

SDC12192.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input and please keep it coming. I think I'm going to try to put a couple aluminum L brackets on so I can remove the casting deck if I don't like it. I'm not sure if I should do rivets or if I can tig weld it on without compromising any aluminum around the weld.

Foco, tippy is relitive. Depends on what your are going to use your boat for and how fast you want to move around in it. a;so the number of people in it, ect.(you get the idea) I have a 14X48 and some time I would like to have a longer one but I do not a smaller one. Good luck.

Attachments

• dh1448mv.jpg
    dh1448mv.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 322