More Replacing transom questions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spropro

Reaction score
Ok I removed the rear seat pods and drilled our all of the rivets holding the lower tramsom support to the tramsom wall plate. I thought once I moved the lower support that the wood would be relatively easy to pull out. But it appears that the top lip is actually clamping on the top of the wood.

Is there any trick to getting the wood out ? Any particular tools which I should use ?

Also any suggestions about the foam that was under the pods ? Leave it in or take out ?

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• Boat Transom #2 001 (640x478).jpg
    Boat Transom #2 001 (640x478).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 258
  • Boat Transom #2 002 (640x478).jpg
    Boat Transom #2 002 (640x478).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 258
If the foam isn't waterlogged you could reuse it as long as you plan to reinstall the pods. It might help to move it out of your way for now if that's possible without destroying it. If it is waterlogged, you need to remove it and replace it with some closed cell foam.

The foam is not water-logged but is in the way. Hesitant to pull all out since it does provide support to the pods if someone were to stand on them and I don,t know if I did remove them if I could glue them back in.

JRyno10 said:
I would put a flat head screw driver under the lip and slightly bend the lip up, just enough to pull the wood out.

I'll give the screw driver a try.

Thanks for the help.

JMichael checked out the thread of your build. You've got skills !

Thank you for the compliment on my build. I just need to get busy and finish it now. :lol:

I would cut or pry at the bottom of that foam to try and make it pop out as one big chunk. Then all you'd have to do is put it inside the pod before you rivet it back in place.

OK got the wood out and decided to remove the foam and glad I did since the bottom third was saturated with water. Now I think that I won't replace it or the seat pods and deck out with aluminum. Need to find somone willing to put in an aluminum transom. Thanks to everyone for theie help.

Attachments

• Bare transom 001 (640x478).jpg
    Bare transom 001 (640x478).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 192

Latest posts