I'm Back!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
Yeah yeah, youve heard that before right!?! No really, I'm ordering my carpet tomorrow. Ive got to get this thing finished up so I can go fishin. Its been way too long. Ive been lurking around here for a few days now and theres a lot of nice projects going on and lots of new people. I sure miss this place. Glad to be back!!

Oh, last time I was here, I showed some pens I have been turning. I still havnt forgotten you guys. Im taking a break from turning right now to finish my boat but I'll be back at it in no time and I'll get some stuff ready for you guys!!

Welcome back.
I use to turn pins and mechanical pencils. Gave almost all of them away to friends and relatives though. I haven't set my lathe up since my last move so it's just sitting over in the corner of the shop now. What sort of woods have you used on them? I've done the typical stuff like birds eye maple, rosewood, etc. I did do some dogwood that I milled and cured myself that came out pretty nice also.

Ive used all kinds of woods. Ive gotten into it pretty bad the last year. I currently have about 1000 pen blanks that are 60-80 different species of wood. Most of the things I'm doing now are higher end pens that sell for $75 and up made from exotic and rare burl woods. I know, $75 for a pen!?! People buy em, so I keep making them. I currently have a couple Statesmen fountains in the works that will be made from premium grade 2 tone amboyna burl. They should be sweet!!! I'll ask $150 for those.

Sure do!! I like Berea Hardwoods for ballpoint componants and Dayacom for rollerball and fountain componants. I buy 90+% of all my componants from https://www.exoticblanks.com/ Ed and Dawn are great. By far the best customer service in the business and they sell componants from just about every supplier and most of them are cheaper than buying direct from the supplier.

Ive gotten away from all the cheaper platings. I absolutely refuse to use gold or even what some call upgrade gold. If someone wants gold, I use titanium gold. Its much harder and will last. Ive sold regular gold pens that have came back to me in less than a year with platings worn off. The premium plated componants cost more but I dont like my pens coming back to me for repair. All I use now is black titanium, titanium gold, platinum, rhodium and chrome. Chrome is the only one of those thats cheap but it does last.

Latest posts