New member - Hello everyone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomblake17

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a new member and just wanted to say hello. I am in the market for a boat and have found one locally but am a little reserved as I have burned in the past due to my lack of knowledge. First, my most recent past poor decision... I recently bought a 16' fiberglass boat/trailer combo for 300 (that should have told me everything I needed to know but I am a sucker for a sob story some times). Needless to say after some disassembly to check things out; the controls were missing, transom is in poor shape and the floor is soft in the front. The good news is the trailer is good! So I AM DONE WITH FIBERGLASS boats! I just emailed a gentleman regarding a 18' Aluminum Starcraft combo. It has an 85hp Johnson on it that he claims runs but carbs are fouled. The boat is stripped otherwise. It appears to have a plywood floor and thats just about it. Are these good durable boats? I am looking for something to take myself and my kids out to do some lake fishing. Good investment or walk away? I am obviously on a budget and cannot afford a new/expensive boat so used is a must. Besides, theres nothing like the look of older boats and I like to tinker and put my personal touches on things. All I know thus far is it is a 18' Starcraft; anyone know a link where I can find out the capacity of this thing? I believe it is a mid 70's model but am awaiting a response from the seller.
Thanks,
Tom

Hello and welcome to the forum.

In order for anyone to give you accurate info on whether it's a good investment or not, you would need to post some pics and let us know how much the seller is asking. I will say this much, anytime someone tells me something like
it runs good but needs xxxx done to it before it will start
I proceed with extreme caution. While there are honest individuals out there selling things, a seller usually has one goal, and that is to convince you that what he is selling is worth what he's asking so he can put your money in his pocket. And more than a few of those sellers have been known to "stretch" the truth. :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard, Tom.

Don't get discouraged. I'm sure you will locate the right boat. Just be patient.
Be sure to update your location so we know where you are.

The boat itself wouldn't be the biggest concern,unless it's in terrible shape most things can be fixed.
Starcraft has a big following,alot of people like them boats.
Do a search on how to check out a used outboard or take a guy with you that has a bit of no how,when it comes to outboards.

Welcome Tom!
Where are you located? You're probably looking on craigslist and ebay, but you may want to look at GovDeals too:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.AdvSearchResultsNew&searchPg=Category&additionalParams=true&sortOption=ad&timing=BySimple&timingType=&category=17

The aluminum Starcrafts are nice boats and relatively easy to replace the floors in. The transoms are a little more work but can be done in a few days. Do a compression test on the motor and check for spark, spray a little fuel in the carbs and see if the motor will pop.

Latest posts