My overbuilt G3 storage box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggernot

Reaction score
My 1860 boat had only a small bow compartment and also is stern heavy w a F90 out back, so I decided to build a bigger storage box and add more area to the front deck. I used regular 2x6,2x4 wood for framing that I put 3 coats of polyurethane varnish on. I attached it w galvanized L brackets/alum rivits w rubber tape between the brackets and the aluminum boatdeck. The 2x6 supports sit ontop of a floor support rib and the top 2x6 is wedged tightly into place on the ends w L brackets hidden behind the 2" pvc rodholders in the pics. I used stainless fasteners and Liquid Nails on the framing that is screwed to the boat. I left a 1/4" gap around the edges of the front plate for water drainage and so i can wash it out w a hose. The alum lid is attached w cheap steel hinges and it and the front alumn are from an old highway sign I had sheared at a local metalworking shop ( $20) after marking all the angles on it w a sharpie, I purposly left the lid a lil short so the corner at the opening is the 2x6, not the edge of the metal to hopfully prevent skinned shins if ever someone slips and hits it stepping up to the front deck. I had bedliner sprayed on the lid for $50 and total cost was about $100. It is VERY sturdy and holding up well after 3 yrs and I probly could have only used 2 of the 2x6 verticle supports seen in the pics. I wish I had taken pics of work in progress. My next project may be adding a wide, short fueltank that would be enclosed in a sturdy box infront of the box I've built and also act as a step to get up/down onto the front deck.DSCN0274.JPGDSCN0275.JPGDSCN0276.JPGDSCN0277.JPG

Ringo Steele said:
Nice storage box there! Raleigh, huh?

Ringo (from Fuquay 8) )

I'm in Apex.......I tried to take her to Harris Sunday afternoon, thinkin everyone would be watchin the race. WRONG, w the ramp off 42 closed for construction, Hollomans was a nightmare and would have took 45+ mins. to launch w all the boats trying to leave. I spoke to a few of the guys leaving and they said they were'nt bitting so I just went back home. I hope they fix the 42 ramps soon!! Randy

I didn't know about the 42 ramp being closed. It was last summer when I last visited S-H. That's the ramp I usually use too. Maybe by late spring...

Latest posts